UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2017, 8:14 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Pirates In Bexhill Again

Re the current thread about MW Local Stations closing [but not related although I think the local relay has now gone] the Bexhill Observer reports that "Pirate Radio is to come to Bexhill". I don't think Bexhill had the Radio version but there may well have been real ones. [There were certainly battles between Revenue Men and Smugglers-and as in Poldark, a soldier was shot dead on the beach!] I'm not really a big follower of either transmission type although I did manage to get one Pirate station in the North during the sixties-bringing Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone and Positively 4th Street fading in and out I've still got the tape!

The Observer says that Clacton's famous Radio Pirates will be broadcasting aboard the Sovereign, an ex-Lightship native to Bexhill, between 5pm to Midnight Apparently they are on the 31, 41 and 49 Metre Bands, 34 37 and 39 FM in Europe, as well as 41.5 "MHZ" "shortwave" and Channel 35 UHF-make of that what you will Radio Caroline is also back for the holiday on the former World Service frequency 648Hz. I've not had a go at picking any of this up yet!

The 1940's vessel was replaced many years ago by a permanent platform just out of range but still visible as a warning light, until it closed down itself due to the reliance on Satellite Navigation. Its a substantial item with it's own helicopter pad and is now a private residence. The nearest pub to here is "The Sovereign"on Sea Road. I'll be calling in later

Dave
Old 27th Dec 2017, 10:56 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Pirates In Bexhill Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Radio Caroline is also back for the holiday on the former World Service frequency 648Hz.
Radio Caroline is back....permanently on 648!
Old 27th Dec 2017, 11:07 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks SB. That's journalism for you these days but they're not technicians and I doubt that most of the info in general makes much sense to the uninitiated. I'm just off to the Sovereign!

Dave
Old 27th Dec 2017, 11:40 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Long wire into an IC7700 in Huddersfield and I keep hearing bits between fades as it peeps up above the light bulbs.

David