UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2015, 5:35 pm   #1
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Default Iskra ETA 80 / Dialatron Carrera 1

I remember having an ivory cream version this phone as a kid. I never really used it as it was a phone my gradpa had given me to play with. I got as far as plugging it in and noticing that the mic was dead after dialling 999 to test it (LOL) Anyways, I remember it was solely pulse. I went to my nan's house and she had the red version of it and it was touch tone!! (dtmf) I got to know later from my dad that the phone my nan had was just a well made replica but he wasn't sure either. The hadset did feel lighter than the cream pulse one I had.

Anyway, to the point, were these phones made with touch tone or were they only pulse? The reason I'm asking is that I have acquired one and it is the original pulse one. It has little pot at the bottom to change pitch (called 'tone') of the ringer and also a ringer volume pot.

As far as memory serves, I saw these phones on a www.etsy.com and some had the little 'tone' knob like mine where as others just had the hole with no knob. This obviously tells me that those have a different board inside. I want to get one of them if these really came in dtmf tone.

And yes, pulse to dtmf converters are available but they're terrible when using button phones as you'd have to wait for the pulses to complete, wait for the DTMF tone and then dial the next number. Bad enough if you're dialing a 0 and having to wait for 10 pulses followed by the DTMF tone before dialing the next number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_570xN.719842398_jcl4.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	109787   Click image for larger version

Name:	il_570xN.589818091_apjf.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	109788   Click image for larger version

Name:	il_570xN.719968047_jip4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	109789  
Old 20th Jun 2015, 7:06 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Iskra ETA 80 / Dialatron Carrera 1

I doubt they had digital exchanges there, when Yugoslavia existed; so the phones probably were all made for pulse-dialling only.

But that's not to say that the phone-line driver ICs they used weren't actually capable of tone-dialling, if the right two pins were shorted ...... However, to say any more would require a look inside the phone and a good search for data sheets.
Old 21st Jun 2015, 11:15 am   #3
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

The IC inside is an EMS 2560A. I've managed to get hold of a datasheet if it helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf datasheet.pdf (24.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 21st Jun 2015, 11:35 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

That's not a data sheet; it's an error message! And I can't seem to find much myself.

It could be an Eastern European clone of a Western IC, given an innocuous renumber to avoid accusations of plagiarism .....
Old 21st Jun 2015, 2:37 pm   #5
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

LOL, I have no idea myself let me repost
Here you go
Well the IC is an M2506A. There's a fair bit online about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M2560A.pdf (154.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 21st Jun 2015, 3:17 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Nope; that is just a pulse-dialling IC, with no facility for tone-dialling It drives transistors to simulate the pulse and off-normal contacts of a mechanical dial, and also provides mute and last-number redial functionality.
Old 21st Jun 2015, 7:13 pm   #7
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

Haww that's a bit sad though .. I will see if I can have a work around.
Old 21st Jun 2015, 8:03 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

You might be able to transplant the guts of a more modern phone into the housing, retaining the original keypad and handset .....
Old 21st Jun 2015, 9:06 pm   #9
hsbhachu3d
Pentode

I did it! The only issue I had was with the * key that was wired with the 369# line. I cut off the connections to the # key with a blade and connected it to the 0# line using thin coated wires. The ringer works too. I also put the original switch on a DIY board and wired it on where the new board's switch was meant to be and glued it to the chassis. The pot for ringer level is done too. The mic and earpiece just went on directly and it all works great. Checked with a DTMF translator app on my phone. Dials out, rings, everything works as original. I also glued in some weights on all 4 sides of the phone to give it that weighty feel that it's original 1.5mm board gave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1439.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	109827   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1436.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	109828   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1437.jpg
Views:	163