UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2014, 11:52 pm   #21
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden - 1st June 2014

I thought the set that was destroyed was a "Derwent Console Receiver" and looked fairly lightweight/cheap as it was removed during the sale. I was quite shocked it had got to this and didn't believe the threat would be carried out, but can appreciate the logistical problems of transporting unpopular large sets up and down the country, never to be sold.

As a result, I had a word with Mike after the sale and bought the unsold Bush AC34 that was also under threat. Despite a grubby front, the set's innards look completely untouched, the back card looks as-new, but oddly no dust inside either. Only problem is I can't see any continuity across the mains lead and am hoping for a siezed power switch contact rather than transformer fault. I know they're not special, but it still would have been a shame to see such a tidy set get trashed.... but maybe I'll see how I feel when I have to fork-out for a mains TX re-wind!

I think that the large Decca console that didn't sell was just a record cabinet, a previous DIY conversion maybe? A new owner made an offer and will be using it to repair/upgrade his own Decca with very damaged louvres. So maybe not such a bad ending?

I enjoyed the afternoon and am very pleased with my odd-ball bargains, but a shame to see attendance down (leading to lack of sales) compared to my last visit.

Thanks to Mike and the team of volunteers for all their efforts in making it a good day - and remaining cheerful and helpful despite the slow take-up.

SR
Old 4th Jun 2014, 9:25 am   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden - 1st June 2014

The Derwent was lot 56 so that's about the right time in the proceedings. Although it was destroyed to make a point, there genuinely was no room in the van to take back unsold junk as it was packed full of stuff that had been bought along earlier in the day for a future auction. That Bush AC34 and a few other unsold lots (from the BVWS store) would have suffered the same fate had new homes not been found after the auction.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread