UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2020, 1:00 pm   #1
Knut_Handsome
Diode

Default Philips EL3541/00M: Line-in and connector questions

Hello All,

I'm hoping some one can help me. I have a Philips EL3541 and I'm wondering if you can help me order the correct cable/s for what I want to do.

I have attached 3 pictures, one of all the inputs and two close ups. One of the din inputs/outputs on left and one of the the inputs/outputs on right.

It came with an amazing looking mic that works. Mic socket is on the top of machine and not pictured.

I want to to record to the machine using line in (not mic, as mic socket is really unlike anything) and also record to computer from line out.

1.Do i simply need a din to phono cable to do both these things?
2. Can someone run me through the sockets and what they do?

Many thanks

Lawry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200111_114624.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	196880   Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200111_114730.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	196881   Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200111_114714.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	196882  
Old 11th Jan 2020, 1:13 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips EL3541/00M: Line-in and connector questions

This may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

A standard 5 pin DIN socket has 2 inputs and 2 outputs (i.e. stereo in and out). You will need a cable with a DIN plug on one end and 4 RCA phono plugs on the other.

You will want to use the bottom socket (the graphic means 'diode', which is terminology used by many continental manufacturers at one time).
Old 11th Jan 2020, 1:15 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Isn't the microphone socket the top one in the second picture?

There was a DIN socket (maybe the one on top) for a preamplifier which took the signal from the track 3 head winding and let you play stereo tapes (left channel through the tape recorder's amplifer, right channel through an external amplifier for example a radio with a pickup input).

Anyway, the bottom socket in the second photo is, I think the 'diode' connection. This will be line level input on pin 1 and line level output on pin 3 (ground on pin 2).
Old 11th Jan 2020, 1:20 pm   #4
paulsherwin

HiFi Engine have both a user and service manual FOC, though you will need to register: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...s/el3541.shtml
Old 11th Jan 2020, 3:42 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at the documentation quickly, can only see a single microphone DIN socket on the right hand panel as identified previously. No obvious microphone connection on top ?
Old 11th Jan 2020, 3:51 pm   #6
paulsherwin

It's possible there's an output of some sort on the spare pins of the mic socket, maybe the track 3 head output mentioned by Tony in #3. The user manual should clarify things.
Old 11th Jan 2020, 5:44 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

User manual on hifiengine is in Dutch as is most of the Service manual (parts of the electrical schematic are in German), the Service Notes are in English.
Old 11th Jan 2020, 9:10 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

One problem is that there are many versions of the EL3541 which differ in the types of sockets used. So you have to find the right circuit diagram.

From what I can see from the symbols the sockets are :

Photo 2 (from the top) :
Microphone input
Pickup input (a somewhat strange IEC flat 5 pin plug)
'Diode' line level input and output

Photo 3 (from the top)
Monitor headphones (as it's a 2-head machine, obviously this is not off-tape monitoring)
Extension speaker

There will be one other 3 pin (or maybe 5 pin) DIN socket on the machine, I think on the top plate for the preamplifier (track 3 head signal and a DC power output around 16V).

I may have some user information on this machine but it will take me a little time to look for it.
Old 11th Jan 2020, 10:25 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

All the documentation on hifiengine basically refer to the EL3541, in the service manual there is a 1 paragraph reference to EL3541/00M but not sure what it says.

The Service Notes additionally refer to ER1502, saying that both EL3541 & ER1502 are in a wooden cabinet while EL3541/15B is in a polystyrene case (otherwise it is identical).

The service manual calls the 5 way connector gramophone, so agrees with Tony's Pickup input.

To the left of the 5 way connector it identifies "a switch for use as amplifier" but cannot see this switch in Lawry's photos.

The service manual has some schematic variants, one is called EL3541D/22 F + G, not all versions of the schematic show the 5 way connector. One location drawing refers to EL3541/19

So somewhat confusing when you are not familiar with the hardware.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 11th Jan 2020 at 10:28 pm. Reason: Typo correction
Closed Thread