UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2007, 4:37 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Reel shafts restoration help please

Hi,
I have 4 identical tape recorders that were made in Japan in the 50s-60s and these are 3 speed valve tape machines, two of them called Cipher and two called Niccol. They are very rare. The Ciphers were made for the US market and the identical looking Niccols for the intenational market as they have voltage adjustments to be used anywhere.
I have a problem with one of them as one of the shafts (possibly made of bakelite) has snapped off and wouyld like to restore this to its original state. I do not hve the missing top part but using techniques i know one can for instance make a mould from the complete one and then rebuilt the broken one using the mould and some resin. But i do not know how to go about this and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I attach some pictures to give an idea. It looks strange with one shaft broken - with the reels in place the shaft should stick out by about 5mm. It's just an appearance thing but it means alot to me. The broken bit i need to rebuild is black in colour
The pictures from left are:
1. Broken version (1cm long)
2. Original version from Cipher machine that has them in greyish colour (2cm long)
3. Niccol Tape Recorder
4. My collection of 2 Ciphers and 1 Niccol
5. Picture of original and broken shaft together

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken shaft (1cm missing).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	8346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete Shaft size (2cm).jpg
Views:	88