UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2016, 3:59 pm   #1
andy1958
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smiths Sectric clock

Hi, this is my first post.
I recently came into possession of a 24 inch Smiths Sectric clock.
As you can see from the pictures it is in very good condition, The clock is set on a black metal base and is in working order.

Does Anyone know much about these clocks and what they are worth?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	118007   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	118008   Click image for larger version

Name:	clock3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	118009  
Old 9th Jan 2016, 11:19 am   #2
Rhgbristol
Triode

Default Re: Smiths Sectric clock

Welcome to this wonderful place Andy!!

Well worth keeping hold of and getting to work.

Particularly if outer casing is not cracked as the smaller versions had a dark brown Bakelite case.

They were made in the 1940s to 1960s and typically of that size would have been in a church hall, school, large office etc.

I have the smallest 9" version in my predominantly Metamech collection.

Value wise they will be very much what a buyer is prepared to pay. Large clocks like that are now currently in vogue typically in larger trendy domestic kitchens, or clubs and bars.

Many are converted to the cheap battery Quartz movements but if it were mine I would leave the synchronous mains movement in it.

As you probably know the synchronous motor's speed is tied to the mains frequency of 50Hz or 50 cycles per second as it will probably say on your clock. They are thus very accurate provided mains is not interrupted. Some of the movements needed a flick to restart them after a power interruption -normally achieved by a lever or knob.

For the full authentic connection look for two core cotton covered dark purple flex and a nice vintage MK Electric fused clock connector to go with it !

Last edited by Rhgbristol; 9th Jan 2016 at 11:26 am.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 3:25 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Welcome from me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhgbristol View Post
Many are converted to the cheap battery Quartz movements but if it were mine I would leave the synchronous mains movement in it.
That's such a good point. The original movement will no doubt work with nothing more than a quick service, and will last longer and be more accurate than any quartz replacement could hope for.

I'm in the middle of restoring a 1935 Ferranti clock which somebody had fitted a quartz movement to about 20 years ago. This is now unreliable and even when it works, makes an annoying click every second. The solution was to buy a tatty clock with the correct, mains electric movement from eBay and fit that instead. The end result should leave the clock as it was before it was hacked about.

Have a look here to make a guess about how old your clock might be. I suspect it's not as old as it might at first appear. The typeface used on the dial suggests 1960s to me, though I realise that this design of clock dates from the 1930s.
http://www.electric-clocks.co.uk/SMI...ck%20guide.htm

Have fun,

Nick.
Old 12th Jan 2016, 1:41 pm   #4
unabridged
Tetrode

With regards to your question on value, completed listings on eBay should tell you. from memory that design holds a lot of merit, but I wouldn't call it mega-bucks. In good condition its a nice piece to keep and look at though!
Closed Thread