UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2013, 5:47 pm   #1
jim221
Pentode

Default Work stand.

Hi there, not really a an electronic item but thought it was worth a mention. I have just bought a very heavy tape recorder and had to employ my son to help move and turn it over when needed. I thought there must be a better way than this. So I got a office swivel chair off freecycle and took the chair part off and discarded it. I then obtained a bit of scrap wood about 15 inches by 12 inches and screwed it to the wheels to make it level. Now I can move it about and turn it round at will. Thought I would pass it on for what its worth. Cost nothing.
Old 1st Jan 2014, 11:22 am   #2
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Work stand.

In a similar vein, I obtain free wooden shipping pallets, principally for firewood, but the best of them I have fitted with swivelling castors and I stack cartons of parts etc on them. I have even put my parts drawers and other storage on castors, including books and magazines, which make it possible to store items a few layers deep, yet have them readily accessible in minutes with no physical lifting or straining required. Least often accessed are at the rear, but remain fast and easy to get to on demand.

Every box is labelled on the sides, and on the top and has a summary of contents so even if laying 3-4 layers back I can get to whatever I want with minimal effort, then put everything back again in a couple of minutes.

Castors must be hard plastic not rubber, as when loaded the latter flatten and split over time, and a minimum of 2" (50mm) in diameter for easy swivelling and rolling 60mm preferred

Cheers

Billy
Old 1st Jan 2014, 8:19 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I made up a "workshop trolley" using the bottom metal frame and castors from a deceased 1970s twin-tub washing machine and part of an old fire-door. It handled the weight of a pair of military metal-cased 110A/H 12-volt batteries (used to power a C11/R210 installation) rather well.
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 2:38 am   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

I also have an ex-washing machine trolley, made from an early 1950's "Ada". It has ball bearing castor pivots. I originally made it to move the engine of my old Hillman Imp, but it has been pressed into service for moving my mother's RGD Radiogram.
Closed Thread