UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2007, 10:30 pm   #1
bendigo8
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fidelity Playmatic quiet speaker

I have a Fidelity Playmatic with a BSR deck. It's a 4 track, 3 speed model. I put it away months ago when the sound failed.I recently bought by auction a Ferguson to replace it. This developed drive failure after a few days which I managed to correct today with the forum help of Ben. (see my recent post) Whilst this machine was stripped down, I got out the Fidelity and poked about a bit. after cleaning the heads, sound was partly restored. It plays very quietly indeed, one can just hear playback but in no way satisfactorily. Has anyone any advice please?
Old 12th Mar 2007, 8:41 am   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fidelity Playmatic quiet speaker

As with all these old cheap sets if you must ,replace
the caps. the rectifier , check the O/P transformer for wax leakage. As you state you have cleaned the head/s what is the background noise from the amplifier like, quiet/loud? If quiet more than likely the above will cure the problem.

Doffery
Old 12th Mar 2007, 11:01 am   #3
bendigo8
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Fidelity Playmatic quiet speaker

Thanks for replying Doffery, I was beginning to feel neglected. I'm sorry to say that 'electricals' are my weak point. Apart from household stuff like changing fuses and fitting plugs etc. I am stuck. With mechanicals I can cope pretty well in the belief that what was put together can generally be taken apart, unless it's been welded or soldered. On playback I can actually just make out what is being played or sung well enough to hear words and identify tunes. I had thought that If I can't increase the volume I may use it to search on my larger tapes, and then move the reels over to my Ferguson for playback. To take the strain off my re-installed elderly belt. Otherwise it's for the tip unless anyone wants it for spares.
Closed Thread