UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2007, 3:00 am   #1
letharjunk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 4408 need new drive belts and wheel

Hi everyone

I have read through and searched the forum so I'm sure that someone can help me and I'm also sure that this particular model has not been discussed, recently at least. So I hope I'm not posting out of turn.

I have a Philips 4408 reel-to-reel, it was once my grandfathers. I'd like to get it up to speed, not least as I'd love to play the tape that was left in it for so many years.

The drive belts have all gone to goo, as seems to be common, but something that I haven't read here is that there is also a wheel made from the same material that has also turned to goo.

I can post photos if it helps but essentially I'm trying to get replacement parts.

I've measured the overall length of the belts and they measure approximately 140mm and 185mm, and the wheel would need to be approximately 30mm in diameter. I think!!! I'm no engineer.

Thanks in advance... I'm sure there is someone out there who knows...

t.
Old 4th Mar 2007, 11:59 am   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Philips 4408 need new drive belts and wheel

You may find Doffery has belts for this model. Not sure if he has the small wheel though. The wheel can be made from a rubber tap washer with a little care. Obtainable from DIY stores or plumbers . About the size of a 10p coin if memory serves. It worked for me. Hope this helps.
Peter W Reelguy.
Closed Thread