UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2007, 4:28 pm   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default 5MK9 rectifier valve. Spares or equivalents??

Hi,
I have 4 similar tape machines from the 50s that were made in Japan and all use a 5MK9 valve rectifier. I am beginning to wonder how rare this valve might be and would like to stock up on a few spares. They have not gone wrong for all these years but who knows!!!! I would like to know if there are any equivalents one can use for this valve or where i can find replacements in the uk please?
The other valves they use are quite common so no worries about that. if it helps anyone i can always post the circuit diagram of this machine.
You can have a look at what they look like on this thread below:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=14892

many thanks indeed
Old 1st Mar 2007, 6:24 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: 5MK9 rectifier valve. Spares or equivalents??

Hi Jascha, any chance of a picture or the valve and some circuit details.
It may be that a common type such as an EZ80/81 or 5Z4 will do. If we know the base type and ratings it should be easier to advise.

Ed
Old 1st Mar 2007, 8:35 pm   #3
jascha
Hexode

Hi Ed,

The valve i am talking about is a 7 pin valve that is slightly longer in size than an ECC83. I shall attach a circuit diagram of my tape machine so you can see what this valve does. I also attach a few other pictures related to this valve. I have found a supplier who had 4 in all and i am buying them but it is worth knowing more about it. So i look forward to your replies.
many thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5mk9.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	8484   Click image for larger version

Name:	5MK9.gif
Views:	153
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	8485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cipher Circuit.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	8486  
Old 1st Mar 2007, 8:48 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...33/5/5M-K9.pdf half wave rectifier 5V heater - I think you maybe wise to stock up.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 8:51 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

You could probably get an EY91 to work with a bit of fiddling. Would need a resistor to correct the heater current.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 9:03 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jascha, it is a bit of an oddball. There are plenty of rectifiers of this size around but very few that don't have 6.3 or higher voltage heaters. As Jeffery says, you may do it with an EY91 (not that common either), or you may need to look at adding turns to the rectifier heater winding and getting a 6.3 volt valve (plenty of these about).

Ed
Old 1st Mar 2007, 9:13 pm   #7
jascha
Hexode

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replies....it sounds wise to stock up i think!!!! I will be in japan in April and i will definitely have alook around there to see if i find any lurking around too. I was told these are rare and were used for some japanese tape machines. If i can stick to the original i think it would be the safest bet.

Thanks once again
Old 1st Mar 2007, 9:38 pm   #8
paulsherwin

If you rectify and smooth the 5V AC supply you'll get more than enough volts to use something like a 6X4/EZ90, but obviously this isn't an ideal solution. Or you could just use a silicon diode

Paul
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 10:21 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jascha, If you are in Tokyo the Ahiharbra(?) market under the station is like certain areas of London in the 50's for radio spares, you should be lucky there.

Ed
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 11:19 pm   #10
jascha
Hexode

I go there every time i am in Tokyo (for work!!!). I love those tiny shops full of components....and the quality of the components is just very high quality too. It's called Akihabara.

MANY THANKS
Closed Thread