UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2007, 1:01 pm   #1
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Staggered stereo heads and tape

I am currently preparing a second, updated edition of "A Guide to British tape-recorders" (which chronicles the British tape-recorder industry) and need to resolve a question regarding "staggered stereo".

I understand there may have been two, or even more, "standards" in the distance between the two record/playback heads which accounts for the incompatibility between different makes and pre-recorded tapes.

I believe in the USA, both Ampex and RCA used 1-1/4" separation (my Brenell Mk.5 staggered stereo models are also 1-1/4") but I believe several machines used 1-3/8" separation.

1: Can those of you who have staggered stereo decks measure the distance for me? (A PM is fine)

2: Was there a US, British or German standard?

3: RCA and Livingston, in the USA, produced pre-recorderd staggered stereo tapes - does anyone now if anyone else did and did they specify head separation?

4: And what of the UK? I understand EMI's 'stereosonic' tapes from 1955 were all for 'stacked' (modern in-line) heads.

Thanks
Barry
Old 1st Mar 2007, 2:03 pm   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Staggered stereo heads and tape

Sorry Barry,
Can't help on this one. I remember staggered head Stereo discussions in the magazines of the 1950/60s . But I have never come across a machine
with staggered heads or a prerecorded tape with this type of recording.
Although I do know they existed.
Memory isnt good these days but I vaguelly remember that on some M/cs it was possible to adjust the distance of the two playback heads in some way to enable playback of different tapes. Have you enquired on any US reel websites as regards to this type of Stereo recording ?.
Peter W . Reelguy Trying to go back in time .
Old 1st Mar 2007, 2:38 pm   #3
brenellic2000
Octode

Hello Peter,

Hope all is well. The reference to a 1-1/4" separation came from an American, but I've not heard of the ability to adjust heads laterally - any idea of whose deck that might have been?

Barry
Old 1st Mar 2007, 8:35 pm   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Hello, I have a few EMI machines including the BTR-2 and the TR-90, the BTR2/3 and BTR3 I have been told has stereo standard heads, the TR-90 is definatly standard style heads though I have one mahcine with staggered, a Vortecion WVC, it is not a CBL.

The amps are labled WVL and WVR, it has three heads, an erase, upper record/playback and lower record/playback, the heads are the same distace apart as the CBL record and pay back heads and of the other werite decks last two heads, I can not mesure it as the machine is very burried in the loft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00230.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	8487  
Old 1st Mar 2007, 8:51 pm   #5
reelguy
Heptode

Hello Barry,
Sorry, I am relying on memory re my comments on adjusting the distance between heads. It was back in the late 50s . I will flick through some of my old mags and hope I come across something to jog my memory. If i find anything I will get back to you.
Stuart, Nice Vortexion. If I had seen that M/c I would have assumed it was a CBL as it has the seperate Amps. Learn something every day.
Peter W .Reelguy
Old 2nd Mar 2007, 2:57 pm   #6
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks Stuart - I don't think EMI ever used staggered stereo heads... and thanks Peter.. keep digging!
Closed Thread