UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2006, 3:19 pm   #1
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Red Hacker Herald RP30

I picked up this tidy Hacker RP30, serial No 81443, at Harpenden last Sunday for the princely sum of £5 . Totally dead when powered up, this one had its share of the usual Hacker faults. The audio module was temporarily swapped for a good one so that the AF117s could be sorted, one was good, one needed its screen lead disconnecting, the third was intermittent so I replaced it with a good AF114. The set now worked fine after cleaning the pots and switches. Next the original audio board was tackled. Most faults on these are caused by duff electrolytics, so I changed the lot, it's usually quicker than trying to fault-find these things.
The case was dismantled next and the parts carefully cleaned, There was a half inch layer of dust in the speaker cone! The brass grille came up nicely with metal polish, and was given a coat of clear laquer. Typically the front foam padding had turned to dust and I replaced this with some thin plastic foam packing material, inserted from the middle where the grille fits. With the whole thing reassembled, the set now looks and sounds fantastic, I left the little BBC stickers on the scale since they were undamaged and had been put on straight!, No Radio 1 sticker , so the original owner had some taste . There were a couple of scraps of paper inside the set giving dates and prices of PP9 battery replacements over the years as follows:-

1st Sept 1971 60p
2nd Sept 1972 69p
24th Dec 1973 70p
21st Dec 1974 82p
24th Jan 1976 104p
25th Jun 1977 £1.32
29th Aug 1978 -- --
27th Jan 1980 -- --
6th Nov 1982 £2.78

Perhaps it died in 1983..... . Nice to have a bit of history, Another fine set for the growing collection of Hackers, and I do like the red ones .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rp30 1.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	5904   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp30 2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	5905  
Old 6th Oct 2006, 6:31 pm   #2
razor600
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Red Hacker Herald RP30

Nice RP30 Mick
Brought one in blue last week,going to replace u.s volume switch/pot this weekend.
brought two pp9s 5 quid the pair,only 50p cheaper than the set.
Ray....
Old 6th Oct 2006, 7:02 pm   #3
GJR 11L
Heptode

That's a beauty Mick, it gives me the urge to drag out a red one and polish it. Of my 7 RP30s, only three are red but methinks the big 'L' would sound good on one of those, especially between 22:00 and 02:00 Monday to Thursday.
Old 6th Oct 2006, 9:34 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello Mickjjo,

I remember you grabbing this one at Harpenden

Well done, and you even 'responged' it

Howard
Old 6th Oct 2006, 9:47 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Hi Howard, I'm surprised you didn't buy this one for a fiver!, and it was late in the day , I'm more than pleased with it, seems more sensitive than the other two RP30s I have. The "Big L" sounds great on this one....... .

Regards, Mick.
Closed Thread