UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2006, 9:14 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Ferguson 3164 MW/LW/SW 7 transistor radio ca 1969

Hello, it's me again ....

I had a call from one of the programmers I used to work with on Tuesday, his mother-in-law had discovered two old radios in her loft and he asked me if I would like them, and of course I dashed over straight away and collected them. One was a Lloydtron FM/AM radio still it's box (and its still in there) but also a well preserved Ferguson 3164 1960s transistor set with a perfectly preserved but lifeless PP6 battery still inside. I got it home, put on a PP3 but sadly it didnt work

These are fairly strightforward radios to take apart, the dial being the tricky bit. I managed to remove the dial intact after around 5 minutes of gently rocking it from side to side, and with some assistance from a couple of wide fork handle ends. Off came the handle, (screws on top and bottom) and the back then comes straight off complete with PCB, leaving just the loudspeaker in the front half. The PCB is simply wedged into the rear of the case with one small screw and washer holding it down.

I tracked down the problem to one of the two AF117s (I always check those first), replaced it with an AF116, and away she went. I cleaned the off/on/volume pot and waveband switches with some switch cleaner and she works well now

The case was a bit dirty from sitting in a loft for many years so I gave that a good scrub in upholstery cleaner and toothbrush. The ring on the outside of the perspex dial was coming away so I took that off completely and also the central bezel, and polished both up with Brasso, and then cleaned the perspex dial in upholstery cleaner. I stuck the dial back together again and then reassembled the set... oh and I stuck down the push buttons properly cos they kept flying off !

This radio had an unusual collection of transistors in it, namely 2xAF117, AF115, AC141, AC142, AC138 and an AC122 which don't tie up with the circuit diagram that Mickjjo very kindly posted here last night for this model. Oh well, it works now, in fact its a sensitive little set and picks up everything on all wavebands. It has a smallish loudspeaker but even so sounds quite good and its a good looking little set too, virtually unmarked

Many thanks Nigel

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson3164.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	5440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferguson3164inside.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	5441  
Old 15th Sep 2006, 12:26 am   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: Ferguson 3164 MW/LW/SW 7 transistor radio ca 1969

Looks a very attractive set. Lots of space in that cabinet!
Old 15th Sep 2006, 8:45 am   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello michamoo,

It is a good looking little radio with loads of chrome and polished aluminium in the casework and thankfully this one isn't all covered in scratches and dents.

Howard
Old 26th Sep 2006, 9:32 am   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

During post restoration testing, the Ferguson developed a minor fault, where it didn't work well when switched on from cold (sometimes requiring a tap to get it started), but then after a minute or two worked fine and continued to do so (it's usually the other way around !).

Ron fixed this one, it had had a replacement AF115 fitted to it and that had a dry joint, and there was also a tiny flaw in the track. Both were resoldered and it has now passed testing with flying colours

Howard
Closed Thread