UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 12th Jul 2019, 8:02 pm   #1
timefly
Diode

Default French Blue Ribbon info

Hi All, I know there is a standing order not to ask for circuit diagrams and to look at service-data.com - but what I want is not there.

I was on holiday in France and bought a Blue Ribbon radio - and am guessing made inbetween 1935 and 1939 as some of the valves were introduced in 1935.

The valve lineup goes 6E8 triode-hexode, 6K7 IF, mystery, 6F6 audio and 5Y3 rectifier. The mystery valve has no marking except "imported from Hungary"

The speaker doubles as a choke for the B+

There seems to be very little about the Blue Ribbon brand of radio out there - were they made by someone else and rebranded perhaps?

Any idea where I could get a circuit diagram for this please?

and failing the circuit diagram, the wire attached to the cap of the 6E8 goes splits into 2, one part going under the chassis and the other going towards the tuning capacitor but has fallen off. What should it be attached to? You can see it in the picture.

I have attached a pic of the chassis from the top, I can post more pics if anyone would like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue_Ribbon_top_small.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	186546  
timefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2019, 8:24 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: French Blue Ribbon info

I would expect the unknown valve to be a double diode triode, most likely a 6Q7G.

You may find some info on Doctsf (in French): https://www.doctsf.com/grandlivre/preselection.php
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2019, 9:22 pm   #3
timefly
Diode

You were quite right Paul, thanks so much - this valve was labelled on the top on the shoulder next to the cap

I looked on doctsf already - Blue Ribbon seems to be fairly unusual.
here is another Blue Ribbon with the same valve lineup, but it is not this one: https://www.doctsf.com/blue-ribbon/f13154

I just noticed there are two dial lamps, one clear and one red, and they change according to the wave band selected

Any ideas where to attach that loose wire on the tuning capacitor? - I posted a closeup

cheers, Irvine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue_Ribbon_tuning_cap.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	186551  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 10:44 am   #4
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by timefly View Post
Any ideas where to attach that loose wire on the tuning capacitor? - I posted a closeup

cheers, Irvine
Trace the wire and see where it comes from. That should give a clue as to where it connects to on the tuning capacitor. If it's a two gang capacitor there are only three possibilities, ground, aerial section or oscillator section.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2019, 6:53 pm   #5
timefly
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Trace the wire and see where it comes from. That should give a clue as to where it connects to on the tuning capacitor. If it's a two gang capacitor there are only three possibilities, ground, aerial section or oscillator section.
Thanks, that is sound advice, I was just going withe where the wire was dangling right next to. It is attached to the cap so according to https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6e8.html it is the aerial section.

My initial concern was where mechanically it should be attached. Has a solder tag broken off? I take it the screws on top of the tuning capacitor are just screws and not trimmers?

--Irvine