UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2006, 10:06 am   #1
Bruce
Tetrode

Default Ekco and Asia.

Hello All,

I'd be grateful if someone can assist with identification of the Ekco in the thumbs below - year, model number etc so that I can get hold of a circuit. The rear cover is not original, however, there is a serial number 01713 on the chassis. Valves have mostly lost their identification, but I can see what looks like UHF41 and an F41.

Its one of the radios I've acquired/rescued out of Burma - late colonial period, so for me at least, has some historical interest. However, its been subject to both tropical weather and to some local restoration(?) - including what looks like the replacement of the transformer (auto trans?) with a dropper and various wires are stuck on all over the place - so its going to take a wee bit of sorting out......

regards
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecko 1 (rear).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	4378   Click image for larger version

Name:	ecko 2 (front).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	4379   Click image for larger version

Name:	ecko 3 (front detail).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	4380  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 16th Sep 2007 at 10:41 pm. Reason: Ecko to Ekco.
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 11:49 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Ekco and Asia.

I don't recognize the exact model, but it's clearly an Ekco export model from the early 50s. The valve lineup will probably be UCH41, UF41, UBC41, UL41, UY41.

If you can't find the correct service info you should find that a UK domestic model from the same period such as an A104 will be very similar electrically.

HTH, Paul
Old 7th Jul 2006, 8:53 am   #3
Bruce
Tetrode

Default Ekco and Asia.

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.

A follow on question. What was the deal (generally speaking, with most manufacturers) with export models? Were they simply not available on the home market, or were they more expensive with their extra SW bands and so just not of interest to most people.

regards
Bruce
Old 7th Jul 2006, 11:28 am   #4
paulsherwin

Default Ekco and Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
A follow on question. What was the deal (generally speaking, with most manufacturers) with export models? Were they simply not available on the home market, or were they more expensive with their extra SW bands and so just not of interest to most people.
They were normally not sold in the home market. There are 2 general types of export set.

The first type is an alternative version of a domestic model, with provision for 120V operation and often an additional SW band where the LW band would normally be (lots of European radios exported to the US in the 50s have 2 SW bands and MW, while the domestic versions have LW, MW and SW).

The second type will be a completely different model to any on the domestic market, with lots of SW bands and often an additional RF amplifier stage. These were quite expensive and were sold to people in far flung parts of the world without access to normal MW transmissions, or to expats. I guess your Ekco is one of these, though it lacks the additional RF stage.

Your radio probably did have an autotransformer for the valve heaters at one stage. This technique was used in many Ekco radios in the early 50s. You may find it difficult to get a replacement, but there are a number of alternative solutions you could use, discussed here (with a spreadsheet to do all the calculations): http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...per-calcs.html

Good luck with it - Ekco radios of this era were simple well designed sets and quite easy to work on. They perform well.

Best regards, Paul
Old 7th Jul 2006, 5:26 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Ekco and Asia.

Ekco were one of the manufacturers to set up overseas factories. Unlike today's use of these as a source of very cheap labour they built sets for the local market.

Somewhere I have an article in a Wireless World from the early 50s concerning the setting up, by Ekco, of a factory in India. Philips also did this I believe.

I have come across at least one Indian built Ekco which was brought back to the UK by a retired couple who were "old India hands" as the phrase was in those days.

Sadly I don't recognise this one though so I've been no help at all - sorry!

Regards,
Old 9th Jul 2006, 8:09 am   #6
Bruce
Tetrode

Default Ekco and Asia.

Quote:
Somewhere I have an article in a Wireless World from the early 50s concerning the setting up, by Ekco, of a factory in India. Philips also did this I believe.
I know these models were sold in Rangoon in the post-war period from a local electrical store.....but as yet I don't know much more.

Paul,
Thanks once again. Yep, guess thats what I'll be doing re the auto transformer......thanks for the suggestion.

Back on the model identification issue - an allied question. I wonder if the dial of this Ekco is familiar to anybody? I have seen bakelite Ekcos with a shape and size approximating the U245 but with a dial/wavebands/knobs identical to this woodie, however, I've not yet had the opportunity to check inside.

thanks to all
Bruce
Closed Thread