UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2013, 1:40 pm   #21
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Barker 88 veneering project.

Well done Col, taking such a plain set and turning it in to a thing of beauty.
It really does look gorgeous, I hope you will be housing it somewhere prominent.

Mark
Old 22nd Feb 2013, 3:44 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's transformed! 1940s austerity to 1930s opulance in a matter of days. Amazing, Colin.
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 11:49 am   #23
Retired
Heptode

Hi,

Thanks David. Almondbury is across the valley from us and suffers the same dire weather conditions in fact it's trying to snow as I type. It somewhat takes a lot of enjoyment out of these restorations when we have a JCB digger on the street digging us out from the snow whilst we struggle to keep warm.

Nice description of your PVA applicator merlinmaxwell; it's amazing what can be done with a finger and of course a finger is self healing; doesn't have a shelf life and is guaranteed for life.

Many thanks Mark; it would be good to display this Barker but unfortunately it will have to join some of the other restored sets in our spare bedroom; its a pity they occupy so much space?

Thank you Nick. This Barker has christened my new workshop refurbishment and I have lots of projects planned but outside the scope of this forum although if I do more radio cabinet work I'll be happy to share the stories. I would love to see this set in natural sunny daylight but then I can always dream whilst living in a black hole called West Yorkshire.

Bron likes this Burr Walnut so much it looks like one project will be to make her a veneered cabinet to store her craft items in.

I truly hope the success of this project encourages others to have a go at both veneering and French polishing; the hardest part is making a start.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards, Col.
Closed Thread