UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2012, 1:33 am   #1
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Crackle finish paint

I have a cabinet that needs a new coat of crackle finish paint or a substitute.
It is an AVO Electronic Testmeter MK2.
The crackle is much finer than the one that can be seen on things like high quality output transformers on big amplifiers and so on.
I an putting up some photos including a substitute finish.
I have a 2.5L NOS tin of the mat grey.
Should I go for it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6435.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	74155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6437.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	74156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6439.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	74157  
Old 20th Dec 2012, 1:39 pm   #2
Andrew Sinclair
Pentode

Default Re: Crackle finish paint

If your matt grey paint is wrinkle finish then I would like to know where you bought it! I can only find black or red for sale. I am battling with wrinkle paint at the moment but have only limited sucess. (See post in AVO multimeter survey.) I am trying to paint a piece of scrap metal as a test in preparation for doing an Eddystone 358 receiver cabinet which was originally in a lightly wrinkled grey.
I cannot get good results from following the instructions on the tin.
They recommend : Two light coats with a ten minute cure between them. A four hour gap, followed by a heavy final coat. There is an instruction to keep the temperature between 20C and 25C, presumably this applies to the whole process.
I am spraying the paint in my garage and then bringing the work in doors for the curing stages. My garage is unheated, so I warm the piece of metal to about 25C with a heat gun. I spray 2 coats with a ten minute gap. I then leave it to partially cure for a period. This is done indoors at a temperature of about 18C. I have tried curing times of 1 hour to 2 days but only get a nice gloss finish!
After the final heavy coat I put the test piece in the oven for an hour at 25C if my wife is out at the time! Otherwise I keep it warm with a heat gun.
I found that when I washed the test piece clean with thinners (after a particularly unsuccessful painting attempt), that the paint wrinkled quite nicely. I applied a very light coat of thinners with a paint brush. The paint needs to have been cured for about a day after the second coat before the thinners is applied. I can achieve the same effect if I replace the thinners with a coat of conventional acrylic car spray paint. This enables me to obtain colours other than black.
I hope this helps.
Old 20th Dec 2012, 2:11 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

The grey is an ordinary white spirit based and produces a hard wearing finish.
Old 1960s paint used to produce something like crackle finish if it was applied in a thick coat.
It needs to form a skin and then be allowed to dry slowly below this.
Old 20th Dec 2012, 6:17 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Beware of confusing crackle paint with wrinkle paint.
Old 20th Dec 2012, 7:13 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I have Googled both crackle and wrinkle and it looks more like wrinkle now.
It looks like it is NLA.
It can be obtained in red or black.
Restorers of telescopes and classic cars are all having problems getting it in grey.
I am getting tempted to use the mat grey that I have used on my central heating radiators.
Old 21st Dec 2012, 12:18 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

As it's wrinkle paint you need, spray some black wrinkle, make sure it's completely dry then cover it with normal spray paint from Halfords, using whatever colour you want.

Best to warm the can and the cabinet so it dries before diluting the wrinkly bits.
Old 21st Dec 2012, 4:51 pm   #7
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Don't know if you have "Rust-Oleum" in the UK but they do a product called Hammered Paint. I have just got some to refinish a HeathKit Oscilloscope case. The instructions say it should be used when the temperature is above 10C and drying time is best at around 20C. This means I will be doing this next spring