UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:11 pm   #1
Bruce
Tetrode

Default Result of using WD40 as a finish on veneer?

Hello All,

Today I picked up a radiogram, early to mid- 40s at first look, not yet sure of maker as the dial is a bit sad. However, I find the gentleman I purchased it from has "restored" it for sale by liberally spraying WD40 on the gram mechanicals to free them up, the pots of the radio as far as he could get it in to reduce crackling AND, not content with this, he has doused the entire veneer surface with it. Now the surface has a "patina" but considering its age it is not too bad, certainly it only needs major repair work in a few areas. However, I am wondering what the long-term impact of the WD40 will be - could it cause the veneer to lift? (as far as I know it was sprayed only a couple of weeks ago and it looks ok so far -- well I think it looks ok, I need to get it into the sunlight tomorrow for a clear look -- although it is clearly still fairly moist).

So, my question is what do members think the impact of the WD40 will be on the veneer, and given this "base coat" how should I best proceed with "feeding" and polishing the veneer. (I am not actually sure what the current top coat finish is as it is rather masked by the WD40 - at the moment its sort of dullish with an overlay of oil from the WD40......)

(Mods, I've posted in this part of the forum rather than the audio section, as it is really a generic question re cabinet finishing.....please move me over if I'm incorrectly located)

regards
Bruce
Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:16 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Result of using WD40 as a finish on veneer?

Bruce
As far as the veneer goes, it depends on the finish. I'd be more concerned about the deck mechanicals - WD40 will have washed all the lubricant off everywhere, so a complete strip clean is required; you might have to start a new thread if you want to proceed.
Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:19 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I don't think this will be a disaster. WD40 is basically a mixture of white spirit (a bit like kerosene, often used as a paint thinner or cleaner and ages ago used in dry cleaning) and light machine oil. I would leave it for a while so that the white spirit can evaporate (you will know this is complete when it stops stinking of WD40). Then treat it with Danish oil or a similar finish depending on your preference.

I'm not as WD40-phobic as many people on the forum. I've found it works very well on carbon tracks in pots, much better than standard contact cleaner. It's certainly not a good idea to spray it everywhere though.

Paul
Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:49 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

I was taught a trick - apply very hot linseed oil and work hard to remove haze and minor cracking to cellulose finish.

I've also been playing around with Danish oil to repair lost finish around knobs etc. and it seems to adhere to cellulose OK.
Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:52 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

I Agree with Paul. WD40 has it's uses! And that smell does take me back to my childhood...

Don't spray it everywhere, but where Servisol fails, or in really bad cases, WD40 is useful. Just keep it away from Rubber parts and sensetive mechanisms. And flames...

The pots will be OK, the veneer - leave and see - but the record deck is a different matter. It is good for cleaning stuff I admit.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:57 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
The pots will be OK, the veneer - leave and see - but the record deck is a different matter.
The deck mechanism would probably have needed regreasing anyway as part of a general restoration, so no harm will have been done. You'll just need to wipe everything down with a rag while dismantling.

Paul
Old 16th Apr 2008, 5:57 pm   #7
igranic
Rest in Peace

I recently collected a radio from a helpfully-minded individual who decided to give it a clean before handing it over. They had obviously reached for an aerosol to give it a quick squirt of polish, but picked the wrong can. My radio now reeks of 'Raid' Fly & Wasp Killer!!

Luckily, it seems to have done no harm to the lacquer finish.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 8:57 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Danish Oil is excellent stuff - I often put it on with a brush, leave for a week or so and use 000 steel wool to give a matt finish, followed by more Danish Oil, but using a cloth. The finish is almost as good as French polish, sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I'm not as WD40-phobic as many people on the forum. I've found it works very well on carbon tracks in pots, much better than standard contact cleaner. It's certainly not a good idea to spray it everywhere though.
Paul
Slightly OT here, but I find WD40 useful for switches and pots as well; we used to use it on the glass around TV anode caps; in some damp houses it was the only way to avoid recalls.
The problem with the stuff is many folk regard it as a lubricant, which it is not intended to be.
If you are using ammoniated clock cleaner on a record or tape deck and any brass parts end up bright green, you know who the suspect is!
Old 17th Apr 2008, 9:58 am   #9
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Regarding cabinets and a bit OT, I was speaking to my local furniture restorer friend and he told me that when he was an apprentice his boss demonstrated the removal of white rings caused by water on french polished cabinets by dousing the top with meths and then igniting it. The meths flared up and the stain was gone. My cabinet maker friend surmises that the heat briefly melted the polish, releasing the trapped moisture under/in it. Can you imagine the reaction of a customer if you did that to his priceless Dynatron or whatever in his home! Needless to say my friend has never had the courage to try it himself.

I don't use WD40 for much in radio restoration but I guess it's horses for courses and whatever works for you at the end of the day.

Ian.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 11:49 am   #10
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post

Slightly OT here, but I find WD40 useful for switches and pots as well; we used to use it on the glass around TV anode caps; in some damp houses it was the only way to avoid recalls.
The problem with the stuff is many folk regard it as a lubricant, which it is not intended to be.
If you are using ammoniated clock cleaner on a record or tape deck and any brass parts end up bright green, you know who the suspect is!
I am glad that you wrote this, a few years ago I could not find my RS spray/ lubricant that I used for pots and switches and I used WD40, I almost felt guilty as a lot of people strongly don't recommend this.

However all the pots and switches are fine and I have continued to use WD40. The three Leak Strereo 30 that I serviced recently had all their slide switches and pots sprayed with WD40 and are fine.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 11:54 am   #11
paulsherwin

WD40 cleans contacts very well, but the problems are caused by the mineral oil layer left behind once the white spirit has evaporated. This is a positive thing inside a pot but elsewhere will attract dust and other undesirable stuff. It was originally designed as an anticorrosive spray to protect Atlas missiles and the oily residue is intentional.

Paul
Old 17th Apr 2008, 2:42 pm   #12
Bruce
Tetrode

Thanks to all who have replied here - I am relieved to find that most think the WD40 will have no long-term impact on the veneer. I think the wait and see approach is good advice. The veneer is clearly still very moist and I'll give it some time to dry out before applying danish oil -- I'm looking forward to replacing the smell of WD40 with danish.

I'm not too worried about the impact of the WD40 on the radio/gram sections -- a closer inspection suggests the PO hasn't managed to get it in too deeply and its mainly been spot application on the radio pots and the gram bearings. So its mainly a fair bit of perished wiring and some caps to be replaced in the radio and a total strip and relub of the gram (the bearing, sounds awful at the moment) - that'll be interesting as I've not worked on a gram of this vintage.

As soon as I get time I'll post some photos in the appropriate section as I'd like assistance in getting an approximate dating - with a steel needle and no speed other than 78 the unit is clearly older than I had initially thought.

Bruce
Old 17th Apr 2008, 11:26 pm   #13
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Result of using WD40 as a finish on veneer?

Hi Bruce
The WD40 will do no harm, I have just restored a Victorian Vienna Pendulum clock, and gave the mechanism a spray of WD40, it now has a healthy tick tock, now keeps excellent time and will be resistant to damp and corrosion.

Geof
Old 18th Apr 2008, 8:41 am   #14
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Geof
I'm sending you a PM so's not to go OT!
Old 18th Apr 2008, 11:49 am   #15
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Result of using WD40 as a finish on veneer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Hi Geof
I'm sending you a PM so's not to go OT!
o dear it still works and keeps excellent time

Geof
Old 18th Apr 2008, 1:55 pm   #16
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

Come on dont keep us in suspense, what's the problem? so that we can all be a bit wiser!!!

Best regards
Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:19 pm   #17
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermanx2001 View Post
Come on dont keep us in suspense, what's the problem? so that we can all be a bit wiser!!!
This forum has a number of members who also restore clocks, and I know from previous discussions that the use of WD40 on clock mechanisms (particularly antique clocks) is considered to be a Very Bad Idea.

Please don't start discussing clocks in this thread folks, or it will have to be closed as OT.

Paul
Old 18th Apr 2008, 2:37 pm   #18
mastermanx2001
Retired Dormant Member

I have no real interest in clocks, but just want to avoid doing anthing detrimental to mechanisms in general.
Old 18th Apr 2008, 5:12 pm   #19
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

That is really getting OT now, which was my reason for post 14 (in which Geof and I have an on-going and useful discussion) - anyone is welcome to PM me on the subject.

Let's get back to Bruce's cabinet, please!
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 8:46 am   #20
don2233
Retired Dormant Member

I,ve just restored the cabinet on my Bush VHF62,as i do a lot of work restoring and re finishing rifle stocks i decided to try some birchwood casey "true oil" that i use on my stocks,after two coats the finish has realy brought out the grain and left a hard wearing surface to which i applied lord sheratons beeswax balm,it only took about a couple of days and the finish mirrirs the original.
Closed Thread