UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2019, 11:29 am   #1
DonaldStott
Heptode

Default Sinclair QL

I have a working Sinclair QL that would benefit from some TLC along with numerous microdrives, QL World magazines and books.

Anyone interested before the local tip/recycling centre is paid a visit?

PM me for further details if required.
Old 21st Jun 2019, 11:36 am   #2
Reelman
Heptode

Default Re: Sinclair QL

PM sent.

Peter
Old 21st Jun 2019, 11:39 am   #3
ViperSan
Tetrode

Ouch missed that one lol
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 12:15 pm   #4
dominicbeesley
Octode

Bah! I've been on the lookout for a QL for ages
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 2:05 pm   #5
ViperSan
Tetrode

I know how you feel Dominic
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 5:10 pm   #6
Slothie
Pentode

Look out for ICL "One Per Desk" machines as they were just re-engineered QLs from what I recall with the charming addition of a telephone handset!. It might give you a slightly higher chance of finding one although they are probably rarer still.
I did see an OPD in a car boot sale a couple of years ago but I didn't get it because they wanted 30 for it and it looked like it had been stored in a compost bin!

The QL is rare because the usual Sinclair problems of rushing to market before it anywhere near ready, delayed dispatch and mass production until the Atari ST and slightly later the Amiga came and stomped all over its market. This was exascerbated by Sinclairs inisitance of marketing it as a business machine, I personally feel if they had marketed it as a successor to the Spectrum and sold it as a games machine (with a built in Speccy emulator?) then they could have had a huge success once those production problems were sorted.
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 7:51 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Heptode

I heard the Microdrives were still in an early stage of development when Sinclair announced they would be launched, when caused the development team to rush them into production without being able to work the bugs out.

Thermal expansion of components was a big problem for them, or so I heard.
Old 24th Jun 2019, 12:14 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Octode

A good friend bought a QL (we were all very excited!) back in the day, and found an interesting quirk. Internally it has look up tables for commonly used constants like pi, e etc. And one of those was root 2. Except it was entered incorrectly by the pressurised development team.

He found it by running a test programme that used root 2 - and got an answer that was almost, but not quite what he expected.

He nailed the problem by asking for root 2.0001 - which the QL had to evaluate rather than use the look up - and the correct answer was returned.

Worth checking any QL that anyone has to see if this bug persisted, or was corrected in later units.

Craig
Old 24th Jun 2019, 12:05 pm   #9
DonaldStott
Heptode

Moderators - can this Thread be closed please as the QL has been claimed by a Forum member.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and responses.