UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2016, 5:31 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default I would like to repair this damaged Bakelite, advice please.

When known for collecting old radios I’ve found I occasionally get a call at the front door and someone standing there offering me a sad old set.
These are mostly found in lofts or the clearing out elderly relative’s belongings. Much of the time items are not very interesting but this pretty little radio came my way yesterday (see pictures.)
It’s a Ferguson 203, I’ve always wanted one of these and was delighted, but alas the front is badly damaged and the broken off bits are long gone. Otherwise it’s not in bad condition.
I’m quite experienced with Bakelite but I have never tackled anything that need prefabrication on this level.
I would imagine a mould could be made from one of the good speaker louvers and somehow new parts made and set into the missing areas.
Has anyone done anything as involved as this or is it too difficult and not worth the bother?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3153.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	129172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3157.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	129173   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3156.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	129174  
Old 25th Aug 2016, 5:53 pm   #2
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: I would like to repair this damaged Bakelite, advice please.

I haven't done it myself but I have seen videos of people making a mould to do exactly that so I thought the same thing before I read your post. I think that would be the way to go.

Here's a link to John's video - he made a pretty good job of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJmqhaq7To

Not sure exactly which video he starts with the mould but it's in that series somewhere - you can see the damage in the above first video. There are many others but can't remember who made them.
Old 25th Aug 2016, 7:35 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Epoxy repair kit. It looks like a stick of rock. Cut the length you need and blend the inner/outer layers of the rock and you have a workable putty that sticks well to Bakelite and can be sanded easily. I used it for worse than that on my Philips 2514.
Old 25th Aug 2016, 8:20 pm   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I used that stick of rock stuff to make a mould that could be made to slip along the good bit of Bakelite by adding a little bit of oil to the good bit before wrapping the putty around it. You get a mould that slides along the good bit of Bakelite.
I did this to fix a Bakelite hinge. A bit of wire the right thickness also dipped in oil had to be added to create the hole for the hinge pin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF7520.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	129183  
Old 26th Aug 2016, 8:49 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

This Philips 2514 had been dropped some time ago by the looks of it and the side panel was in about 6 parts with about 25% missing which I recreated from epoxy repair putty. I put a blob of putty on card, applied a bit of oil, and took a mould of the surface finish so I could reproduce it on the new material. I did use various metal strips and clamps to provide support and it took more than one application to complete the job.

The main problem is that it starts hardening quite quickly and then needs to be left or you will end up in a mess as I did with my first attempt. The good news is it can be worked with a knife and sanding is quick so it's better to leave too much material than fuss over accuracy when you first apply it.

I could have spent more time on finishing as it still has a couple of indentations but the radio is far from perfect so I am happy the way it is (most importantly it works!).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2514 side.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	129236  
Old 26th Aug 2016, 10:50 pm   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thin Bakelite strips can be replicated using tinplate sheet bent around a suitably-shaped former, then painted to match. I've seen the end results of others' work, but never done it myself!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread