UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2019, 8:05 pm   #1
Top Cap
Octode

Default Radio & TV Servicing Books - Index

Over the years I have been trying to put together a definitive Index for these books. Yes I know there was one produced to cover most volumes but this is filled with many errors. I wanted to get hold of every book and go through them page by page making note of page numbers and adding the technical articles too. If you read the pdf document below, it will give you more of the story and how I ultimately failed in my quest but not a complete failure.
A link at the end will enable you to download the Xcel spreadsheet(s)

http://www.g4cnh.com/public/Complete...cing_Books.pdf
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:21 am   #2
Jac
Heptode

Default Re: Radio & TV Servicing Books - Index

Thank you for making this survey available to all of us.

Jac
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:51 am   #3
sortedradio
Heptode

That's an amazing bit of work and must have taken an age! I have always been confused as to how many variations of the early volumes were published and who complied them. I will have a look at mine over the weekend. Perhaps if others did the same we could have a definitive answer. Thank you for making this index available.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 8:58 am   #4
Station X

This thread may be of interest:-

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19275

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 6:04 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

I really admire your efforts as I've also spent time in the past banging my head against this particular brick wall.

You'll note that Graham's link to another thread also contains within it another link which is now redundant. I think this referenced a copy of a document produced some years ago by one of the original editors (Poole?) which attempts to describe the early volume sets published by Newnes. You may have already seen it but I've attached an image of the table anyway. One way or another it is of itself inaccurate/incomplete as I can demonstrate with some of the volumes I own.

I'll try to dig out my notes on the subject.

Alan

PS The 'sticky' thread/post in General Vintage Technology is also an incomplete account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio and Television Servicing volume identification.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	180886  

Last edited by ajgriff; 4th Apr 2019 at 6:12 pm. Reason: PS added
Old 4th Apr 2019, 6:22 pm   #6
Bryan M
Pentode

That's a splendid effort, Top Cap. As I have the two volumes published in 1952, I've started to go through your spreadsheet verifying the entries you have doubts about. It'll take a day or two (!).

Incidentally those two volumes came with a slipcase containing various sheets which I no longer have and I no longer remember - I bought the three items in 1953 at a cost of £3.3.0 (£3.15) after much agonising about their affordability.

Bryan
Old 4th Apr 2019, 6:49 pm   #7
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
You'll note that Graham's link to another thread also contains within it another link which is now redundant.

Alan
I've fixed one broken link in that thread, but I'm not sure it's the one you're referring to.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Apr 2019, 7:03 pm   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

Thank you anyway.

Alan
Old 4th Apr 2019, 7:23 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes many thanks for putting that up TC! Like Martin, I was puzzled for a long time with all the anomalies and mis-directions in trying to make sense of the various editions ! Chas Miller did an article in Radiophile that was a great help quite some years ago, explaining the dis-jointed publishing history. I used to think it was just me at first There has been some prolonged discussion on here in the past, hence the links! This spread sheet seems very helpful. I have at least one full run in the North [perhaps] so I will try and get the time to check it out against the new reference point when I return but I won't be surprised to find that I've made errors. If anybody needs a particular volume I will see what I have or if you are inspired by TC's efforts to own the core of a set send a pm, maybe I can help

Dave W

Cartoon Lyrics... "Top Cat he's so effectual, Top Cat he's intellectual, Close friends get to call him TC!"
[I've always assumed that's where 'Top Cap' came from but I could be wrong].

Last edited by dave walsh; 4th Apr 2019 at 7:33 pm.
Old 5th Apr 2019, 8:59 pm   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

This thread contains some further useful information I think:

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4602

Alan
Old 9th Apr 2019, 6:18 pm   #11
Top Cap
Octode

My thanks to Brian M for the early two volume information which makes everything complete except for the publishers disowned sets
The original link will take you to the updated spreadsheet.

http://www.g4cnh.com/public/Complete...cing_Books.pdf
Old 13th Apr 2019, 11:33 am   #12
John_BS
Octode

I've had a look at my early volumes: always been puzzled / confused by finding two sets of "Volume 1 II III..." etc. Alan's post (5) above clarifies things greatly (many thanks).

What I seem to have is

1. A complete set of 5 of the 1955 3rd edition (Molloy Poole)

2. A complete set of 7 of the 1959 7th edition (Molloy, Hawker, Poole)

If any of the above is of interest/ required to complete the Excel index, please let me know.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio and Television Servicing volume identification.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	181278  
Old 6th Jun 2019, 9:34 pm   #13
Electronpusher0
Nonode

In the spreadsheet you list vol 1 of 5, pre 1953, radio as unverified. I have a copy here. What information would you like from it?
Old 6th Jun 2019, 9:36 pm   #14
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I also have vol 3, television pre 1953 models.
Peter
Old 7th Jun 2019, 4:08 pm   #15
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post

You'll note that Graham's link to another thread also contains within it another link which is now redundant. I think this referenced a copy of a document produced some years ago by one of the original editors (Poole?) which attempts to describe the early volume sets published by Newnes. You may have already seen it but I've attached an image of the table anyway. One way or another it is of itself inaccurate/incomplete ......

PS The 'sticky' thread/post in General Vintage Technology is also an incomplete account.
I have just used the table attached in the post above to check my books.
The table goes up to RTS edition 9
I have an edition from the following year, calling this Edition 10 the following should be added to the table:
Date 1962, RTS edition 10, Names on cover JPH, names on title page JPH JR, No of volume 6, Vol i 56-57, other volumes sequential year volumes to vol 6 61-62

I also have an odd book marked vol iv which is identical to Edition 3 Vol v including names and No pages. I would speculate that there was in fact an edition in 1954 not listed in the table.

Peter
Old 7th Jun 2019, 8:51 pm   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Further to the previous thread linked by Graham in April [P4*] and my comments at post 9*, there's no doubt this is a tricky subject! I've succumbed to headaches trying to sort out my various editions in the past

Dave
Old 7th Jun 2019, 9:20 pm   #17
ajgriff
Nonode

Until now I’ve resisted the temptation to post again in this thread as this is rather like playing 3D chess where the opponent's knights have been disguised as pawns. However, a few years ago I wanted to fill the gaps in my motley R&TVS collection of early volumes so that, within reason, all possible models were covered up to about 1962. After many hours of research and head scratching (banging?) I came to the view that RN Wainwright really did know what he was doing when he structured his overall index around the very first editions relating to receivers up to and including 1952 and the Molloy & Poole 1955 five volume set. As a result I came up with three rules to assist in my quest:

Rule 1 - The majority of receivers up to and including 1952 are covered by the earliest two volume R&TVS edition for radio and television respectively. These are readily identifiable by the manufacturer listings which are in random, rather than alphabetical, order. It is worth noting that these two books are the same as the slightly earlier Newnes editions with blue covers entitled Radio Engineers Servicing Manual and Television Engineers Servicing Manual.

Rule 2 - Some early receivers are only covered by the first four volumes of certain early editions.These can best be identified by the manufacturer listings in each book as follows:

- Radio Part 1, Ambassador to KB

- Radio Part 2, McCarthy to Vidor
- Television Part 1, Alba to KB
- Television Part 2, McMichael to White-Ibbotson

Rule 3 - For 1953 and subsequent receivers ignore the volume number printed on the spine. All that’s important is the model year ie, 53/54, 55/56, 56/57, 57/58 etc as indicated inside the book. Note that there wasn’t a 54/55 volume of any description.

Referring to Wainwright’s index, the books defined in Rule 1 are (a) and (b). Those in Rule 2 are (c), (d), (e) and (f). Any book dealing with 53/54 sets is (g), 55/56 is (1) and so on. Volumes which don’t conform to one of the rules can be considered to be abridged versions of the early editions and therefore incomplete in terms of model coverage. All very straightforward!

One of the attractions of this approach is that there is no need to worry too much about editors, specific volume sets, indices or number of pages. However, please accept that this analysis does not attempt to deal with charts, supplements, general servicing information, minor editing variations or a few errors in Wainwright’s index.

Alan
Closed Thread