UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2020, 3:13 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Gordon Bussey's TV collection.

In the early 80s Gordon Bussey bought several vintage TVs from myself including at least one pre-war model by HMV/Marconi. Since the passing of Gordon several years ago I've often wondered if his sets were dispersed to private collectors or went wholly or in part to a museum/collection of some sort. If the latter is the case I'd love to know where so that I can possibly visit some day. I am not interested in buying any sets and I don't want contact details for private individuals against their wishes, I'm just curious what happened to Gordon's incredible collection of vintage TVs and as I say, interested in seeing them if possible.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 11:02 am   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Gordon Bussey's TV collection.

Bought my Cossor 54 from Gordon in 1993. I still have the set in my collection.
Seems like yesterday I drove from Gateshead to Croydon to pick up the set, then turn around to travel home in the same day. 700 miles round trip.

DFWB.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 11:41 am   #3
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi David.
We did a same day run last year from Kilmarnock to Croydon and back, got held up at Birmingham for an hour due to a traffic accident on the return.
I wouldn't fancy a trip like that again.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 12:09 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Trevor,
that'll be a 900 mile round trip.

DFWB.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 12:38 pm   #5
Panrock
Nonode

Yes Steve, that would be interesting. I remember the fabulous exhibition of the working sets Gordon B supplied at the Science Museum Exhibition in 1980.

As for long trips, my record was 648 miles in one day to the Aberdeen area and back on Radiocraft business in my Rover P5B. On my return, the exhaust dropped off! I needed to 'drop off' too and had a good kip.

Steve
Old 9th Oct 2020, 1:26 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Steve.

As for long trips. I went to the south of London to collect a Tandberg receiver. Not too far distance wise from Rugeley, perhaps 150 miles, but I 'picked' a day when seemingly every conceivable hold up was on my route. First I could not leave the M25 at the lower end exit that I needed, so I left to the north and my satnav directed me through the whole of greater London at 30mph. Then, at a crazy multi-choice junction I went wrong, heading for the Blackwall tunnel only to find that a lorry had set on fire in there and I was in a queue for hours. When I got home I had been driving for 13 hours..
Old 9th Oct 2020, 1:38 pm   #7
Panrock
Nonode

One of Gordon's working sets I particularly recall seeing at the exhibition, and being impressed by, was a pre-war Baird T5. The picture was large, bright and sharp. Gordon certainly knew his oats.

I only wish I could find the exhibition programme sheet. This was packed with drawings of first and second generation pre-war sets, including rarities like the Murphy V88C.

Steve
Old 9th Oct 2020, 2:02 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Gordon used to get a lot of restoration work done by experts, many who went back to the early days and actually worked on these sets. His 'cabinet man' was ex of HMV I believe. Gordon was also able to tap into the manufacturing capabilities of Philips for whom he worked as 'historian'. That wasn't his exact title. I remember for the Great Optical illusion show in London in the late 70s he had tubes 'remade' for the Pye 5" vision only sets. There were three of those sets altogether, for use as spares should one stop working. I understand they were all found together in the back of some old shop and the cabinet sides had all fallen away sideways and lying as dust on the table. So they were totally restored at great cost by Philips. One of those sets I was eventually able to buy, but it has long since left my hands unfortunately!

If you and I are talking about the same exhibition, then I think I may have a copy of the 'newspaper' that was issued for visitors to read that contained lovely drawings of old sets.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 2:43 pm   #9
Panrock
Nonode

Interesting info Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
If you and I are talking about the same exhibition, then I think I may have a copy of the 'newspaper' that was issued for visitors to read that contained lovely drawings of old sets.
That's the one! A scan shown here would be great, if it's convenient and you're set up for it.

Steve
Old 9th Oct 2020, 2:57 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

If I can find it you can have it Steve. I remember parting with what I thought was my only copy a few years ago, but I recollect (dreamt?) that I saw another one recently. I'll have a dig.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 3:16 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I remember seeing a Pye VO9 at Gerry Welles' vintage wireless museum in Dulwich which Gordon had arranged to have a full restoration using the facilities of Philips.
The set was restored to "as new" condition.
The VO9 has the appearance of a smaller Pye V4.

DFWB.
Old 9th Oct 2020, 7:01 pm   #12
mark pirate
Dekatron

The Pye V09 is a very rare set, I restored mine some years back.
Introduced in April 1953, at a time when 9" round tube sets had been superseded by 12" & 14 inch rectangular tubes, can't have sold many!

Mark
Old 9th Oct 2020, 8:32 pm   #13
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Mark, Guess you could it an entry level model, might have been the cheapest TV you could buy in 1953.
DFWB.
Old 1st Aug 2022, 7:19 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default HMV TV set owned by Gordon Bussey

Some time ago I posted a question concerning vintage TVs once owned by the late Gordon Bussey.

The thread didn't get very far, strangely becoming more of a discussion about how far people have travelled to obtain a set, but with little or no information regarding the question in hand.

I was wondering and hoping that fresh eyes may be able to throw some light on what happened to Gordon's vintage TV collection? As I point out in the original thread, I have no interest in buying any, but would like to perhaps see any of them if they're in viewable collections somewhere. Also, for historic record purposes, a fellow member has expressed a desire to know the whereabouts of a particular set that Gordon purchased from me, a pre war HMV set as seen in the photo below. Gordon was going to have it refinished by his 'tame' refinishing expert who I am led to believe was an ex EMI employee and refinished to 'ex works' standards. BTW, the knobs were 'in hand', but not on the set at the time of the photo. I think I'd given it a spruce up with Scratch Cover polish.

Can anyone help please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collection3.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	261956  

Last edited by Station X; 1st Aug 2022 at 9:12 pm. Reason: Threads merged.
Old 1st Aug 2022, 7:46 pm   #15
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: HMV TV set owned by Gordon Bussey

A first generation direct view HMV 903. Very, very rare....

I wish you luck.

Steve
Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:03 pm   #16
Sideband
Dekatron

I knew Gordon when I was at Philips, just as a colleague and a fountain of knowledge on anything vintage! Unfortunately I have no knowledge of any of his collection and to add to the mystery, a lot of his work colleagues are also no longer with us. I can try and get in contact with a few ex Philips employees that I know are still around and will have known him but it could take time. However I fear that the ones who REALLY knew him are no longer with us.
Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:10 pm   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

It just seems strange that his collection that was so big and high quality, that its whereabouts or dispersion is - apparently - unknown?!
Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:20 pm   #18
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
It just seems strange that his collection that was so big and high quality, that its whereabouts or dispersion is - apparently - unknown?!
Well it is some time since Gordon died...must be 15 years at least...it's 14 years since I left Philips and he'd been gone a while then. In that time his collection could have been split up many times and it's quite possible that whoever owns what now doesn't know where it came from originally or even who Gordon was.
Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:25 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

I know that Gordon was very 'pro' official organisations such a museums, the television society, etc etc and my gut feeling is that he would have liked his collection to go to an organisation. Of course, his benefactors may have dispersed it via the major auction houses, who knows. Yes, who knows?!
Old 1st Aug 2022, 8:29 pm   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Was he married and did he have children?
Closed Thread