UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2022, 1:28 pm   #1
Richardgr
Heptode

Default Unidentified HMV radio, chassis only

Can anyone identify this HMV radio from its chassis? It looks similar to this one ...
All-World Autoradiogram 660

The tuning scale is very odd - it is just graduated in something like degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-12 142347.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	257032  
Old 12th May 2022, 1:44 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Unidentified HMV radio, chassis only

Unless I'm mistaken that's just a logging scale, and the tuning dial as such has gone missing - perhaps was fitted to the cabinet. The disc rotates many times from one end of the scale to the other, so in particular short wave station positions could be accurately recorded by noting the number on the disc together with the approximate position on the dial. It does look like the chassis used in the HMV 650/655/660 and Marconi 561/563/564.

Paul
Old 12th May 2022, 1:52 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

It is the logging scale, it can be seen in the RM picture along with the main scale which is fixed to the cabinet - my Dynatron uses the same idea, except the dial glass is fixed to the radio tuner chassis. It looks like it would originally have had two elliptical speakers mounted at angles and only clamped to the cabinet with two clamps each.
Old 12th May 2022, 2:13 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
It looks like it would originally have had two elliptical speakers mounted at angles and only clamped to the cabinet with two clamps each.
That's the arrangement with the radiogram versions - the one I have is the Marconi 563, with very different presentation

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconi_563.html

Just one speaker in the table radio versions, though, so perhaps the chassis is from one of those.
Old 12th May 2022, 3:44 pm   #5
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
the one I have is the Marconi 563, with very different presentation
Ah yes, I see it is.

I was wondering if there was a table radio version, but thought that this would have more likely used just a single KT63 as the output.
Old 13th May 2022, 8:44 am   #6
rontech
Heptode

It is a model 650 or HMV variants . My father had a table model 650 bought second hand in 1951. Sadly it was scrapped sometime in the late 1960's.

It had a push pull output stagewith two KT63s. I think the amp section was transformer coupled to provide phase splitting. 8 - 10 watt output.
Old 13th May 2022, 11:43 am   #7
mister valve
Hexode

Yes I would go along with HMV 650.... It's one of HMV's 'super' all singing, all dancing chassis', which I would consider is a must for restoring. Looking at the circuit diagram, I would say that the receiver part, would be near communications receiver standard (but without a BFO). With an audio amplifier & output stage nearing high fidelity (1930's standard).

Maybe a cabinet might come along on (say) an auction site with a good dial but possibly a scrap chassis, where a good restored chassis could be made to fit the restored cabinet.
Old 14th May 2022, 9:09 am   #8
rontech
Heptode

There is an interesting BBC report 1940's on the 650 with reference also to a Murphy competitor radio

Report No C035 June 1945 Byfield and Maurice. ( Report serial No 145?/21)

A google search will locate a download link
Old 15th May 2022, 10:31 am   #9
Tony_Sterling
Tetrode

Hi if you have the Bulletin for 2005 vol30 no.2 Summer in you will find one of these sets with photos repaired by Gary Tempest.
Old 17th May 2022, 6:35 pm   #10
Richardgr
Heptode

Thanks for the comments. It is going begging, probably a tenner to a good home, but I just don't have any room for another project.
Old 17th May 2022, 6:52 pm   #11
turretslug
Dekatron

The lack of corrosion is a hopeful sign for the multitude of wound components. Would be a proper in-deep project for someone whose interests extend to joinery! Quite a grand radio in its heyday.
Old 18th May 2022, 8:07 am   #12
Richardgr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
It is a model 650 or HMV variants . My father had a table model 650 bought second hand in 1951. Sadly it was scrapped sometime in the late 1960's.

It had a push pull output stagewith two KT63s. I think the amp section was transformer coupled to provide phase splitting. 8 - 10 watt output.
Yes, that's it ...
Model 650

That would be a great set to own! I have a couple of 1930's radios that sound really amazing through the large field coil speakers with a Bluetooth on the phono input (I replaced the capacitors, and added earthed mains lead). This one has the added advantage that the amplifier could be used independently, saving tube life on the radio tubes.
Closed Thread