UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:09 am   #61

Default Re: Avo 36 range restoration

Why in every corner of the world?

Is there more people on others parts repairing shunts...?

It will be amazing..

Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:18 am   #62
The Philpott
Dekatron

I have seen recent questions on here from Scandinavia, Germany and the USA, (other places that i cannot remember!) and it makes me think of a time when the UK exported a lot of things (but this was before you and i were born!)

I was born in May 1970. My elder sister was born a few years earlier- and if my father's wishes were observed her middle name would have been 'Telstar'- after a satellite!

Dave
Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:45 am   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I have seen recent questions on here from Scandinavia, Germany and the USA, (other places that i cannot remember!) and it makes me think of a time when the UK exported a lot of things (but this was before you and i were born!)

Dave

Yes, England was an empire so was Spain, Portugal and now China.

English artifacts were very well done, i love AVOs, Eddystone, Pye, and others. Now days everything come from china and the quality use to be crap.

I was born on august 1970 i can remember buying quality things from England, Germany, USA, but now....

Old 9th Jan 2019, 12:58 am   #64
Superscope
Octode

The problem with re-winding Resistance Boards, is not really the Technical difficulty.
It's the expense of the Resistance Wire.

A completely re-wound larger Board, would likely cost well over 60 Euro just for the Wire.
Nobody would normally invest that amount of Time or Money.

I am working on a Prototype Resistance Board which looks original, but made from cheaper
modern materials, as an experiment. But like a lot of things, it's still a work in Progress.

But for an accurate re-build, I think it will be necessary to re-use as much of the original
resistance Wire as possible, and only add new wire to replace broken lengths and re-calibration.
Un-winding the original wire without further damage though, is much harder than the re-winding.

Ian
Old 9th Jan 2019, 1:07 am   #65

60 euros just for the wire is expensive for an Avo 8 for example, but what about for repairing to original a 13, 20 34 or even 36 ranges Avo?

Old 9th Jan 2019, 8:36 am   #66
Superscope
Octode

There will be very little difference in the cost of re-winding any Model of AVO.
They all have similar Resistance Boards of Length and value. (except the 8/9 Mk V and above of course).

I think my 60 Euro is also a very conservative estimate, based on my recent research on Prices.

I think it was Ed who earlier mentioned "Scientific Wire Co".
I looked at them before, and one problem is, all their Wire is Bare Wire! No insulation, which you absolutely need.

For an authentic restoration, you would need Fabric covered Wire. Enamel would work, but might not look 100% accurate.
Add to this their horrendous Pricing, and they are out of the question!

https://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/cn_bare.html

I have found cheaper ex Russian Military stock on line and other supplies from the ex Soviet Block countries, but even these are relatively expensive.
The last I bought recently, was 20m of fabric covered Wire and that cost 10 Euro.
Only enough to wind a single small winding, not an entire Shunt Board.

Bottom line is, don't throw away any of the old Resistance Wire!
Un-wind it as carefully as possible, and re-wind it on an old Kitchen Tissue Roll for Storage.

Some of the bigger Shunts are considerably more than 100m long.

Ian
Old 9th Jan 2019, 9:31 am   #67

Yes.. we have a problem with that wire.

We must find a solution.

Old 9th Jan 2019, 9:56 am   #68
Superscope
Octode

I'm working on a Prototype Board, but I'm waiting for some Bakelite Sheet to arrive.

Since my 36 Range needs to have a lot of repair work on it's it's Large Resistance Board,
and this will take quite some time to do, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to
test out an idea.

I hope to get the Prototype built from Scratch ready for when I reassemble my 36 Range.
I can then test the Restored Meter in preparation for the original Board's return.

Ian
Old 9th Jan 2019, 1:09 pm   #69
The Philpott
Dekatron

I wish you luck with this. All of the factors you mention have always put me off ever trying to wind on a new shunt. I wouldn't be happy that i was applying the correct tension or mounding it in the correct shape to avoid unwanted effects. (But i imagine a coil winder would take care of those issues..) I was pleased that one of my shunts in particular was still serviceable- when new it could have been dropping anything up to 1,080 volts along it's (enormous) length. We don't know whether it's capable of doing it after 84 years- only 70 volts have been applied. (I wonder if the warmth generated might actually be good for it in the long run..)

Dave
Old 10th Jan 2019, 12:25 am   #70

Is there any information about the SWG and Ohm of the different wires used on the AVO 36 shunt? On the electrical diagram only appears OHMs of each resistor.

Old 13th Jan 2019, 12:46 am   #71

SWG (Standard Wire Gauge), i think is a very easy way to identify each wire. It will be very interesting to have these data for the AVO 36 range and even others AVOs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_wire_gauge

Old 13th Jan 2019, 3:06 pm   #72
AndyGilham
Pentode

Going going back to the scale plates. Back in 2002 when we were still manufacturing the model 8 mk 7, we selected one of 9 different scale plates. Generally the movement was assembled such that scale characters 6 and 7 were most commonly used. However, this led to artwork deteriation and we never had the master artworks (damaged or lost) I had to scan an existing scale and trace it accurately using coreldraw. From this I was able to send the data to our screen printing department and it worked a treat....... And that scale was continued for another 6 years. So scanning can do the job.
Saying that, a year later I found the pages of character deflection data for the scale. Doh!
Old 13th Jan 2019, 4:00 pm   #73

Thanks for your information. Today, my friend just finish the scale of my 36 range AVO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2019-01-13 at 14.45.32.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	176355  

Old 21st Jan 2019, 2:23 am   #74

Today, just to try, i solder few resistor and eliminate others, the Avo is working in almost all ranges. Now i will try to rewind the broken bobins (almost all of them)

Old 6th Feb 2019, 12:33 pm   #75

Hello, I finished the battery cover. Thanks to Superscope that gave me the correct measurements for this cover. I made it in aluminium and used an old feet from an original Avo case. The little piece of iron is made of stainless steel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AEBD3AE8-F6E1-4FCE-AD97-4CAAF0C799C7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	177858   Click image for larger version

Name:	5437C7EA-CE01-4F4C-8473-73A8DC4459C0.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	177859   Click image for larger version

Name:	27D23261-F2AC-4FBE-9E70-09E30211334C.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	177860  

Last edited by Guest; 6th Feb 2019 at 12:41 pm.

Old 6th Feb 2019, 1:36 pm   #76

I also did another small piece a little bit wide. I think I will use this one. Is more close to the picture of the original cover.

Has anybody a scanner of the tag attached to the interior of the cover? See photo 2. I will appreciate that scanner, in maximum resolution if it is possible (600 DPI) Thanks.

Aitor Eneko
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8D1D4480-1C34-49E0-B6A1-61DCC39BFCAA.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	177861   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070180.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	177862  

Old 6th Feb 2019, 1:55 pm   #77
Refugee
Dekatron

With text there is the option of typing it out and printing it in a closely matching font.
Age the paper with a thin coat of spray on varnish.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 2:14 pm   #78

Yes, i found a suitable fond for this, but there are same difficult letters to read.

FUSES.—New calibrated fuses can be obtained at
a cost of 2/8d. post paid, or old ones repaired
at a cost of 1/3d. post paid.
DRY CELLS.—Renewals are obtainable at 1/10d.
each post paid.
To avoid delay in despatch. it is request that no
xxxxxxxxxx all orders for fuses and cells.
THE AUTOMATIC COIL WINDER AND ELECTRIC
EQUIPMENT CO., LTD.,
Winder House. Douglas Street, London

Old 6th Feb 2019, 8:07 pm   #79
Superscope
Octode

Hi Aitor,

Sorry I have not replied earlier.
I've been away from the Forum and e-mail for a week or so.

Nice Job on the new Cover.
You just need a Black Crinkle Paint Finish to finish it off.

Your missing wording on the inside Cover should read:

To avoid delay in despatch. it is request that re -
mittances accompany all orders for fuses and cells.

Ian
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:15 pm   #80

In a few days i will show the label

Closed Thread