UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2014, 9:05 am   #1
rrbmachining
Diode

Default HP 4957A Protocol Analyser

I have recently acquired a faulty protocol analyser and am looking for a service manual of some kind. Internet search has not come up with anything so far so would anyone have any information on these ?

Richard Marsh.

Last edited by Station X; 5th Sep 2014 at 10:36 am. Reason: Emaill address removed.
Old 5th Sep 2014, 10:54 am   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: HP 4957A Protocol Analyser

Has the Schaffner mains input filter/switch unit failed yet? It is well known source of trouble and a terrible smell.

Also the on-board Ni-Cd batteries could be faulty.

Ron
Old 5th Sep 2014, 11:26 am   #3
rrbmachining
Diode

I powered it up, had it going for about 5 mins then burning smell and some muck from the rear. Really bad smell for sure. Had a quick look inside and no real signs of damage. A bit of black gunk around the mains input / switch unit. Powered it up again for a few mins and it seemed ok but have not left it on for any length of time.
Old 5th Sep 2014, 2:42 pm   #4
dave cox
Nonode

The answer to Ron's question is an emphatic yes !

I found the Schaffner brand filters rather expensive and found some good quality alternatives less than half the price from Farnell.

dc
Old 10th Jul 2015, 9:51 pm   #5
mockba.the.borg
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Richard,
Did you ever find the service manuals?

I have just purchased one to work on some UART code I am writing for FPGAs, the unit is in marvellous shape, but no diskettes or any manuals.If someone could share either an image copy of the diskettes or schematic I would be very grateful.

Also, maybe I should pre-emptively change the filter just in case? Before it expels the famous black goo? Not sure what part # to look for though.

Thanks a lot and sorry for so many questions.

Thanks,
Marcelo.
Old 11th Jul 2015, 7:23 pm   #6
woodchips
Octode

Manualsplus.com list them, grab quick beore they close.
Closed Thread