UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2020, 11:06 pm   #21
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV

Completely agree. It's just an old telly. J.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 6:36 pm   #22
Eidolon
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by linescan87 View Post
I wouldn't be too hard on the "technician". It sounds like he made the best of an otherwise impossible task.
There were two technicians. The last one, other than messing the geometry a bit did a nice job, fixed a lot of other problems with it.

The previous one pretty much caused this by over-boosting the set when it was taking about 10 minutes to warm up. He's the same one who wrote off my very nice ITT v2000 player as well, when he wired it all up wrong after a minor repair and literally blew it up. I suppose it might be salvaged with some replacement parts, but it'd be a big job. Other things with 'petty' damage too. Unfortunately it's only over time as it goes along and I learn that I'm starting to understand all of this and that the fjrst techie really wasn't that competent at anything.

The tv's on now for the first time in four days. It's bern on just over an hour and it's finally warming up to a ueeable level. I've been watching short dvds on the laptop in the meantime when i wanted to watch something.
But my new Sinclair zx Spectrum Next is due in a couple of weeks, and wuth my hdtv inaccessible for at least another two months, I'll have to make the most of this tv for it.
The second technician said something about attaching heaters to give it a push to warming up. It'd be the compromise option if i can't source a replacement tube.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Old 26th Feb 2020, 2:15 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

To be honest he was a brave man to tackle the V2000 series VCR. I was far too busy to have anything to do with them as were many other repair guys. They just took too long to repair and customers were not willing to pay the price. I was glad to see the shot of them as almost everyone in the trade was.

A duff tube is a duff tube and I really hope you find a replacement. They were produced in huge numbers and you may find a wreck example with a good 30AX tube. Often the rusted bashed about receivers produce good tubes. Good luck with it. John.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 1:16 pm   #24
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I've heard there's someone (not on this forum) in the North of England with a shed load of TV's. Mainly G8 and G11 which are no use to you, but I spied an Amstrad CTV2200 which is almost guaranteed to have a decent 540X in it. However, he's been told these sets are worth a fortune (they aren't) and is holding out. They aren't on eBay, but I think they can be found on Facebook via the usual forums. Good luck!
Old 4th Mar 2020, 12:30 pm   #25
Eidolon
Hexode

Thanks, I'm not sure who that is. The 'worth a fortune' myth is something that's been going around for ages now in so many retro circles. I used to buy a lot of video tapes until the myth of their value being high started, and now people ask stupid money for even the most worthless of tat that the charity shops throw away.
I've seen people asking hundreds for small portable CRT TV's on ebay as well, it's ridiculous.

On a different note, does anybody know why RGB flickers when it goes into this set? I currently use a scart-block to plug the various scarts into (although I usually only have one in it at a time - its just more practical that reaching around the back all the time), which goes into an Alba vhs; that then converts the signal to RF, which is plugged into the back of the TV. I'm not sure if the flickering is an issue with the TV or the VCR?
In time, when the set-up is finally complete, I am thinking of replacing the VCR with a dedicated scart-switcher box, a good powered one that autodetects, which will then go to a SCART-RF modulator and then into the TV. I have the new Sinclair ZX Spectrum Next due in a couple of weeks or so, and that only outputs via RGB, so there will be a lot of flicker, that I need to try and find a way to work around. Thanks

Last edited by Eidolon; 4th Mar 2020 at 12:36 pm. Reason: .
Old 4th Mar 2020, 1:30 pm   #26
Clydeuk
Hexode

Am I right in thinking you intent to connect a RGB only source (the Spectrum NEXT) via a VCR? I don't think this will work. As far as I'm aware, VCR's only accept composite video via the SCART, in which case you won't get anything to display. You would need a modulator that accepts RGB, either a modern one, or something like the ones used on the Amstrad CPC or the Amiga.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 3:46 pm   #27
Eidolon
Hexode

My dvd player works via the scart input on the vcr, i get a picture, but it flickers. I can solve the problem by switching the rgb output off on the dvd player. The new Spectrum doesn't give that option, output is rgb only over its scart
Old 4th Mar 2020, 8:18 pm   #28
Maarten
Dekatron

What model is the VCR? Normally, they don't support RGB at all, but it may be a VPT model; those sometimes support RGB.

What kind of flicker is it? Is the picture steady but modulating in brightness? Are the colours right?
Old 5th Mar 2020, 11:22 am   #29
Eidolon
Hexode

The vcr is an Alba, that's all i know. Maybe the scart switcher block is responsible for responsible for the rgb?
The colours/brightness flicker quite fast, kind of like Macrovision but at a much qhicker rate.

I've popped a post up in the wanted section for a replacement tube. No luck as of yet.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 4:11 pm   #30
julie_m
Dekatron

Some VCRs had an AV2 SCART with RGB pass-through to AV1. If AV1 on the VCR is connected to AV1 on the TV set and an RGB source played into AV2 on the VCR, the TV will display this RGB signal.

The purpose of this was to connect a pay-TV decoder, which were popular in some Continental countries. When watching a scrambled programme, the decoder would take in a composite signal from the VCR and output an RGB signal, which would then wend its way to the TV. (The decoder's output being RGB made it difficult to record unscrambled programmes. You could record scrambled programmes all you liked; but if you wanted to lend a tape to a friend, you would have to lend them your decoder as well.)
Old 5th Mar 2020, 4:59 pm   #31
Eidolon
Hexode

That makes sense, thanks. I'll have to see how the spectrum deals with it.

Going back to general tv tube issues, while ive been phoning and messaging around trying to see if there's a suitable tube anywhere to be found, I've twice been told about 'flashing' the tube, (maybe also a 'reactivator'?) which will apparently either restore it, or kill it?

Last edited by Eidolon; 5th Mar 2020 at 5:13 pm. Reason: .
Old 5th Mar 2020, 7:10 pm   #32
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It'll probably do neither. As it's been overrun to within an inch of its life it'll just look at you. Dead parrot? That's the one.
Old 5th Mar 2020, 7:36 pm   #33
Eidolon
Hexode

Well I need to do something. If i can't find a replacement tube, i could do with another tv of this 'wooden' style. Took me ages to find this one
Old 5th Mar 2020, 10:38 pm   #34
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Some VCRs had an AV2 SCART with RGB pass-through to AV1. If AV1 on the VCR is connected to AV1 on the TV set and an RGB source played into AV2 on the VCR, the TV will display this RGB signal.

The purpose of this was to connect a pay-TV decoder, which were popular in some Continental countries. When watching a scrambled programme, the decoder would take in a composite signal from the VCR and output an RGB signal, which would then wend its way to the TV. (The decoder's output being RGB made it difficult to record unscrambled programmes. You could record scrambled programmes all you liked; but if you wanted to lend a tape to a friend, you would have to lend them your decoder as well.)
That wasn't my experience in Germany or Spain.

Canal Plus used Nagravision, scambled. The decoder would receive a composite PAL signal direct from the VCRs tuner, output on a pin of the SCART and would feed a decoded PAL signal back to the video input pin of the scart socket. This picture could then be recorded or simply viewed through the VCR.

The relevant preset on the vcr would be set to 'decoder' on the tuning page, thus automatically switching the decoder into the loop when that preset was called up.

For older equipment with no 2 way SCARTs, a separate unit consisting of a RF modulator, tuner and SCART was available . This went between the decoder and the non- SCART VCR or TV.
Old 6th Mar 2020, 12:33 pm   #35
Eidolon
Hexode

Can anyone suggest anywhere else, groups/pages etc for me to try to look for a replacement?
Old 6th Mar 2020, 1:13 pm   #36
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's worth a trawl through Facebook Marketplace, plus other sites like VRAT.
Just realised I have a K35 in the shed which MIGHT have a reasonable tube. I'll get it out and put the BK on it. If it's good are you up for a journey?
Old 6th Mar 2020, 5:50 pm   #37
Eidolon
Hexode

If it works, I'll see about a trip up

I've been asking at a local house clearance company today. Apparently they get loads of crt sets and just skip them. I doubt there's anything old enough to suit my needs, but I'll drop them in a list of compatible models as what I've been told on here and with a fluke of chance something viable might be there
Old 6th Mar 2020, 5:59 pm   #38
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I've been asking at a local house clearance company today. Apparently they get loads of crt sets and just skip them. I doubt there's anything old enough to suit my needs, but I'll drop them in a list of compatible models
Here's a tip: I would just tell them to let you know if anything 'wooden' turns up! Or any Philips They're unlikely to bother looking at a lot of meaningless (to them) model numbers, which aren't exactly easy to see on the sets themselves.
Old 7th Mar 2020, 10:17 am   #39
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

You have to put yourself out and accept ANYTHING offered with thanks, even if it is a pile of rubbish! If you turn anything down or appear 'picky' they won't bother to contact you. Just a bit of useful advice from someone who has a massive collection of 'junk'. John.
Old 9th Mar 2020, 1:09 pm   #40
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi. Found the K35, but need to find the tube base for the BK. Fingers crossed - I'll know tomorrow.
Closed Thread