UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2021, 7:24 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Sony EV C500E 8mm Decks Loading Faults

I am trying to fix a couple mid 90s Sony video recorders both are stand alone decks capable of Hi8 and 8mm record and playback I believe they have the ‘U’ mechanism.
Both power up and show some life but with different faults which seem to be related to the mechanism.
One loads the tape laces up and attempts to play but acts as though it is paused showing a still image for around 6 secs before shutting down, it won't FF or rewind. If you attempt to put it into FF you hear what sounds like it is going to wind but then shuts down.
The second powers up shuffles the mechanism around several times without a tape and then shuts down. It does not respond to a tape being inserted. I get the feeling this mechanism has timing/loading issues and can’t sort itself out.
Swapping the mechanisms between the decks moves the same fault so I’m thinking in both cases I have partly faulty or misaligned mechanisms.
Any help or experience of these decks would be useful, I have found the manuals for the C500E and the ‘U’ Mechanism but neither seems to cover the gearing that does the loading functions. Similar decks look to be CV40, CV45 and Cv100.
Help or advice on what to look for next would be most appreciated.

Last edited by chriswood1900; 25th Feb 2021 at 7:25 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 28th Feb 2021, 10:40 pm   #2
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Sony EV C500E 8mm Decks Loading Faults

Been some years since i repaired these decks for sony, you need to check the mech timing by means of the various timing marks on the various gesrs and levers, the adjustment manual is a great help here, also the mode switch is troublesome, a little electrolube can provide a cure, somewhere i do have a new spare if required, without seeing the it's difficult to be of more help.
Greg.
Old 4th Mar 2021, 1:33 pm   #3
chriswood1900
Octode

Greg, thanks for the note, is the adjustment manual separate from the service manual?
Old 4th Mar 2021, 10:37 pm   #4
greg_simons
Octode

Hi chris
the original paper manual covered all aspects of service, it's possible someone here may have a pdf copy, meanwhile I'll try and pull in a favour from my old works, the unit is so old that sony may not have transferred it to their database but I'll get someone to find out.
Greg.