UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 29th Apr 2017, 8:37 pm   #101
astral highway
Octode

Default Re: Third hip replacement in 21months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Tech View Post
... stay positive mate and you will get there.
Thanks, Ken, that's my goal! Cheers, mate!
Old 29th Apr 2017, 8:38 pm   #102
astral highway
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
No doubt, warmer weather will help if you want to get out of your flat for a while.
Thanks, Robin, I like the idea of that! Been couped-up for quite a while now!

There is some good news: the consultant surgeon says I can safely progress to using only one crutch inside and two when I go outside. Which means a lot more freedom! I also start land-based physiotherapy after finishing hydrotherapy next week, so that'll be the long-haul back to full, or at least much more representative strength. It may take some time after the hammering the leg has taken in the last two years, but steady wins the race, right?

Last edited by astral highway; 29th Apr 2017 at 8:44 pm.
astral highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2017, 9:18 pm   #103
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Sounds like progress, looks like progress and by golly it might even be progress!
This is good. They don't let the physios get their hands on you unless they're pretty confident things are going well.

Hope you've got some folk carting you out and about . It made a big difference for me when I was plastered up with a broken kneecap.

David
Old 29th Apr 2017, 10:17 pm   #104
Oldcodger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post
Hey, I feel for you. If your hip is continually painful and impairing your quality of life, I'd recommend going for it. What happened to me is incredibly rare. There is around a 1/200 chance of getting a deep infection around the joint (rather than the surgical wound).

There is a very low risk of this happening right in the operating theatre in the first place and then remaining beyond clinical suspicion and untreated, with disastrous consequences, as in my case, especially given how fit I was beforehand!

Seriously. Most people have this and it changes their lives amazingly. I've already bumped into two patients a generation older than me who were on my ward and eight weeks later are walking with only a light walking aid. Only reason I'm still in long rehab is that I've had three surgeries plus a life-threatening illness in 21 months-- and that's another matter altogether.
Al- I'm not 100% , but given the pressures on the staff last time I attended for a problem in January, and what I read into my Doctors hesitation , on referring me- I'm quite happy to be an AA with help. I've had no help to get referred, or much help getting help. I'm supposed to sit at home and be attended on- so if it's that- wife is wiling to take the cash, and we'll live happily after.
The NHS make their own problems. Nurses get pittance, whilst CEO get massive salaries.
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2017, 7:08 am   #105
astral highway
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Sounds like progress, looks like progress and by golly it might even be progress!
This is good...
Thanks, David, it does feel like it, if I dare to believe it!
Old 16th May 2017, 9:51 am   #106
astral highway
Octode

Smile Re: Third hip replacement in 21months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
...I've had no help to get referred, or much help getting help...
That sounds rough, I feel for you. Did you know you can now ask your GP to refer you to any hospital in the country? Worth considering, if you have doubts about your local one. I won't discuss NHS at a political level as it is both distressing and a bit OT... I hope you can find a remedy other than just being resigned to being in pain.

I'm still finding it difficult to do basic things like housework , loading a dishwasher and shopping , and have to pay for some services . This is incredibly frustrating for someone of my previous levels of athletic functioning and self-reliance , and I also have a long haul in land-based physio...

Buy David,, yes, there is progress! The bone graft is taking nicely. I'm out of hydrotherapy and walking on one crutch. This is delightful as I can now carry things in the other hand and start doing light tasks, including circuit assembly!

The fact that I won't have further surgery in the near future also invites me to feel much more at ease!

Please , anyone considering an elective hip replacement , this story and stunted recovery is really unusual and only because of the infection and two revision surgeries with months of the first operation. It's super rare, so please discount it if you are in pain and are offered the remedy.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:10 am   #107
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Looks like some welcome progress, Al. Keep it up!
Old 5th Jul 2017, 4:12 pm   #108
astral highway
Octode

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I posted and I just wanted to say that things are gradually improving after the last op. I still have a number of issues, both orthopaedic and PTSD related. I went backwards in rehab for the last five weeks after overdoing it one day, and had to start hydrotherapy all over again. But things are now calmed down and the leg feels more and more like my own. I'll still need to work very hard on my physio in the gym for around 6 months before I regain the functional strength that I used to have. That will be a wonderful prize when it comes back.

For example, I have had to sideline my 2kW Tesla coil project for a while simply because the chassis already weighs 25Kg and is not safe for me to lift on my own. That used to be a completely trivial weight for me, but torquing movements which rely on a competent connection between my upper and lower body are still a little bit compromised after all the surgeries. One hasty movement can put me back into an inflammatory condition for weeks. It's just not worth it. I do hope to return to the project by late autumn - perhaps it will be ready to display by Halloween.

Good news is that I'm getting away from here for three weeks soon, with my wonderful girlfriend!

It will be the longest I've been away for 21 years, reminding me that not too long ago, before this all started, I was a complete workaholic!

It will be great to be deep in nature and away from civilisation for a while. Much work to be done on dealing with the trauma side over the coming months, but I am starting to be able to imagine living a fuller life again, where I can say 'yes' to things and take my attention back to a bigger picture.

This forum has really helped me maintain a sense of connection with others over these difficult times, and I'm constantly moved by the generosity of members, either in terms of giving away components, or offering really detailed insights into things in ways that I simply don't have access to elsewhere. It's incredible.

So thanks to everyone, members, mods and Paul Stenning, for this amazing facility.
I'll go quiet after the weekend, but look forwards to coming back to things in a few weeks' time.

Last edited by astral highway; 5th Jul 2017 at 4:24 pm.
astral highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2017, 7:05 pm   #109
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Keep the good news coming.

Regards,
David
Old 5th Jul 2017, 8:43 pm   #110
robinshack
Hexode

Al, this is just great news! Remember, the only way is up!
So pleased to see you on the threshold of a new life.
Truly wishing you all the best of what you would wish for you and your good lady!
Kindest regards. Rob.
Old 5th Jul 2017, 9:35 pm   #111
Bufo Bill
Tetrode

All the best Al, have a great time in the countryside!
Bill.
Old 6th Jul 2017, 7:16 pm   #112
David G4EBT
Nonode

Great to see an upbeat post from you Al - things are starting to look good for you at last, on the long and rocky road to recovery.

Have a wonderful time away!
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2017, 10:37 pm   #113
Oldcodger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by astral highway View Post

Please , anyone considering an elective hip replacement , this story and stunted recovery is really unusual and only because of the infection and two revision surgeries with months of the first operation. It's super rare, so please discount it if you are in pain and are offered the remedy.
Astral- good luck in your progress. Me- I'm not brave enough to consider an op.
Knowing my luck- I'd end up following you.
Old 7th Jul 2017, 8:33 am   #114
astral highway
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post

Have a wonderful time away!
Thank you , David! It still seems surreal but we're actually doing it, finally!!
Old 10th Jul 2017, 9:01 pm   #115
Oldcodger
Heptode

Astral- GO-ENJOY. After what you've gone through , I'd be looking out for falling rocks from above.
Old 9th Aug 2017, 4:38 pm   #116
astral highway
Octode

Hello everyone! This is just a cheery wave to say that I had a wonderful time in British Columbia with my girlfriend. The immense scenery, hugely forested terrain and seascapes were astonishing, and I actually had days of hardly walking at all, but on much more interesting terrain than at home . I managed a forest trail of 4km by taking a leisurely 6 hours to complete it, with loads of pausing to look at ancient trees along the way. There were some challenges, but I dealt with them and being more able to do so feels very much like a turning point. I am now on a 1:1 programme of physio to get the recovering leg back to speed.

I'm still seeking advice on the PTSD side of things, but I feel I have enough blessings to make the wait tolerable most of the time; there is progress I do need a long, hard think about work in the future as some factors are long-term challenging, but I'm not going to give myself a hard time over this...

My capacity to lift things around is a bit off the mark but I can still enjoy small,
likely RF , construction projects, and have a list to look forward to over the autumn. I hope folk are enjoying the rainy spell to get a few hours of fixing and fettling in!
Old 9th Aug 2017, 6:59 pm   #117
frankmcvey
Hexode

Good to hear from you, Al, and glad you're on the mend. Just keep doing what you're doing, and do a little more of it each day. It's amazing how ancient trees can put things into perspective...
frankmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2017, 8:56 pm   #118
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

It sounds like you're on the up, Al.

I went through some rather bad times at work 12-15 years ago and it was the friendship of the horses which kept me going.

Mind you, the beastie I was riding yesterday evening stumbled on both forelegs at once and went down on his head, at a fairly quick canter. I wound up doing a face-first landing in the muck, so I'm sporting a split nose and a very stiff neck plus sundry bruises. What's good for the mind is occasionally not good for the body

David
Old 9th Aug 2017, 9:41 pm   #119
Oldcodger
Heptode

Sounds like the mind has decided that the body can get into line and do what it's told. RW- I know the problem. Astral- I know I should start looking at a new one, but I like the old one too much to part with it despite the occasional pain, and problems. After all your problems you do really deserve a lot of breaks ( not in the bone department), so get it into your head that "you WILL get better soon".
BEST WISHES - OC.
Old 10th Aug 2017, 12:54 pm   #120
astral highway
Octode

Quote:
It sounds like you're on the up, Al.
Cheers, David, it really feels like it this time! I can hardly believe it and keep pinching myself. I just have to hold my nerve (metaphorically, please).
Also, thank you Frank and OC for your kind and positive comments, it all helps!

Quote:
I'm sporting a split nose and a very stiff neck plus sundry bruises. What's good for the mind is occasionally not good for the body
Oof! That sounds like a lucky escape, David!