UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:09 am   #1
John G8MWF
Hexode

Default Dropper capacitor safety

Hello,
I wonder if you could help me with a dropper capacitor issues again?

This question is more about safety than performance and I do not want to take any chances in getting it wrong.

The Bush DAC90A that I modified with a dropper capacitor is working fine.
The only trouble I have is that when it is unplugged there is still a charge in the capacitor that gives you a little jolt should you pick up the plug and touch the pins.
This is not very nice especially for a domestic user such as the wife!

A 680K 1W resistor? across the mains path would provide a discharge path when it is unplugged but I just wondered if there is a better way - possibly by putting a resistor directly across the capacitor itself?

Cheers

John
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:16 am   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Dropper capacitor safety

Across the capacitor.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:26 am   #3
John G8MWF
Hexode

Thank you, and would 680K be a good value to use - I calculate it would draw 0.35mA, 85mW which shouldn't give performance issues?
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:57 am   #4
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I agree with MS660, but I would also suggest you use a 1 watt type, as there is quite a few volts across it, and some of the ΒΌ watt types seem physically rather small to have anything like mains voltages across them. Erring on the side of safety!
The increased current you point out is unlikely to be near the change in heater current caused by the normal variations in mains voltage in most areas, so I wouldn't fret about that. Tony
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:57 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

It all depends on how fast you want the capacitor to discharge, to discharge from a given voltage to approx 37% of that voltage then t = CR, in practical terms for full discharge it's 5t.

0.35mA wouldn't be an issue for a 100mA heater chain.

EDIT: Post crossed.

Lawrence.
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:11 am   #6
John G8MWF
Hexode

So I make that around 1 second to 37% and 5 seconds to approx. zero.

There is still a very small chance of a "tickle" but a lot less risk than before.

A 470K/2W would give 0.5mA and a slightly smaller time - so I think I will give that a go.

BTW I am listening to Radio Caroline on medium wave while typing this and its a bit eerie hearing the ships bell sounding out again over a vintage radio!
Old 15th Jan 2018, 10:50 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

As an aside, the 'allowed' time for capacitor discharge is 2 seconds after the mains has been disconnected (this is according to EN60065 safety standard). The voltage across the capacitor after this time should be <35V.
Don't worry about this too much! I just wondered if someone might raise the question as to what the accepted discharge should be. The way we check this at work is by connecting a scope across the mains plug (100 megohm impedance), setting the timbase to give a 5 second trace and then disconnecting the mains at the peak voltage. The scope then shows a discharge curve against voltage and time.

I agree about the resistor size....use a 1 watt type. Strictly speaking it should have a 500V rating....remember on a scope, peak mains shows as 340V
Old 15th Jan 2018, 11:05 pm   #8
John G8MWF
Hexode

Well that is certainly a conclusive answer- thank you!

I will probably open up another can of worms here, the reason I want to use the capacitor dropper is that I have finally got hold of a Ivory Cased DAC90A that needs some TLC and I want to run it as cool as possible to reduce further cracking if that is possible.
At the moment there is only one crack in the RH top dial bezel, a chip to the speaker ring and damage to the internal dial glass pillar.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 2:17 pm   #9
John G8MWF
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
As an aside, the 'allowed' time for capacitor discharge is 2 seconds after the mains has been disconnected (this is according to EN60065 safety standard). The voltage across the capacitor after this time should be <35V.
Don't worry about this too much! I just wondered if someone might raise the question as to what the accepted discharge should be. The way we check this at work is by connecting a scope across the mains plug (100 megohm impedance), setting the timbase to give a 5 second trace and then disconnecting the mains at the peak voltage. The scope then shows a discharge curve against voltage and time.

I agree about the resistor size....use a 1 watt type. Strictly speaking it should have a 500V rating....remember on a scope, peak mains shows as 340V
I finally had a quick chance to fit the cap and resistor this morning although I had to fit a 1M ohm resistor as I couldn't find the pack of 680K.

The results are excellent and without any tweaking to the 1.5uF cap value I am getting 96V ac across the heater chain which works very well and I may just leave it, possibly giving the heaters a easier time, that way - unless it is doing some harm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180131_130437.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	156489  
Old 1st Feb 2018, 9:00 am   #10
PsychMan
Octode

Might it be wise to fit say a 200ma fuse in series with the dropper? Otherwise if the capacitor failed shorted your valves might be in trouble
Old 1st Feb 2018, 9:58 am   #11
John G8MWF
Hexode

Sounds like a good idea to me - although I was under the impression that X caps failed to the O/C state when they fail.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 10:55 am   #12
PsychMan
Octode

They should, but I tend to be a bit on the paranoid side when it comes to these things! A pico fuse would probably be very simple to install, though of course more of a pain if it blows. You'd probably need to take some measurements and experiment a little to size it for inrush current. Though perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in and say its a waste of time , in which case, ignore me!
Old 1st Feb 2018, 2:17 pm   #13
John G8MWF
Hexode

It is probably one of those topics where you cannot win whichever decision you make!
Saying that I have just put the cream DAC90A back in its case and it is just running slightly warm so that may save the case from cracking further down the line.
The other thought I had was if Modulation Hum is reduced by using a dropper cap? I wouldn't have thought that it would as it is 1.5uF in series with the mains and it wouldn't have much effect on RF entering.

Meanwhile I am going to cook the newly restored DAC90A which is now looking and working very well. Pictures enclosed of original condition - new ones to follow when it is cooked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_134145.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	156548   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	156549  
Old 1st Feb 2018, 3:26 pm   #14
julie_m
Dekatron

X-rated capacitors should not be used as mains droppers, because the self-healing property is undesirable in this application. But you should use a fusible resistor in series with the capacitor, lest the heater in the most expensive of your valves take on this role! (X-rated caps can fail short-circuit; they just must not set fire to anything else. It's Y-rated capacitors, which might be connected to user-accessible metalwork, that only ever fail open-circuit.)
Old 1st Feb 2018, 3:52 pm   #15
John G8MWF
Hexode

So how is the value of the fusible cap calculated and would it blow before the heaters?
And would there be a problem with the start up surge current accidentally blowing them?
Old 1st Feb 2018, 5:10 pm   #16
PsychMan
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
X-rated capacitors should not be used as mains droppers, because the self-healing property is undesirable in this application. But you should use a fusible resistor in series with the capacitor, lest the heater in the most expensive of your valves take on this role! (X-rated caps can fail short-circuit; they just must not set fire to anything else. It's Y-rated capacitors, which might be connected to user-accessible metalwork, that only ever fail open-circuit.)
I thought the OP had said Y rated, not sure why as I see they said X rated...I cant tell from the picture if its X or Y
Old 1st Feb 2018, 5:16 pm   #17
PsychMan
Octode

Looking up that capacitor it looks like a motor run capacitor, I cant see any X or Y rated info in the specs. One spec states self healing, so maybe it is an X then. I thought if X or Y it would say on the body
Old 1st Feb 2018, 5:42 pm   #18
John G8MWF
Hexode

You are quite right it is a CBB61 motor run capacitor that I assume(d) is a X type cap.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 5:52 pm   #19
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G8MWF View Post
So how is the value of the fusible cap calculated and would it blow before the heaters?
And would there be a problem with the start up surge current accidentally blowing them?
I find by using a cap dropper, it minimizes the inrush current to the valve heaters.
It seems that all the British electronic devices used double pole mains switches, so there wouldn't be any potential across the plug prongs.
I can see the bleeder resister across the cap dropper being a good practice.
Old 1st Feb 2018, 6:03 pm   #20
John G8MWF
Hexode

The double pole switch works well if you use it!
I got a tickle after unplugging it and then picking up the plug a short while later.

That is what gave me the reason to fit the resistor just in case some innocent person did the same - I don't think that it would have given vintage radios a good reputation if it had shocked Joe public.
Closed Thread