UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2018, 2:54 pm   #1
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Trim tool set

Does anyone know where to get a decent trimmer tool set from?

I had a couple of these sets (see link below) but I find that those with the finer flat bladed tips don't last long. They seem to twist and break easily as they seem not be be able to deal with the torque of turning a slug that has even the slightest bit of resistance to it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pc-Trim...53.m1438.l2649

Is there anything more durable available on the market?

I managed to adjust most of the slugs on both the Roberts radios I was working with fairly easily. However, there were a couple that were just a little tighter, although not so tight it seems as for one of them to end up pushed straight down! I had to remove the can and turn it back up from the underside. There was also no damage to the slot in the slug so there was more than enough purchase to engage the tool and turn, although it turned very sluggishly and the tool gave way.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 3:07 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Trim tool set

You can get ceramic ones for professional use but they are rather expensive. I think one set was around £89 ex.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 3:09 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

This Spectrol trimtool has a metal insert so it is reasonably strong. If the metal affects the result it would at least get you fairly close.
http://uk.farnell.com/vishay/acctrit...ngdom%2Fsearch
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 10:47 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Ah, the ubiquitous "pot twiddler". Used to be one of the more useful freebies at trade exhibitions.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 2:25 am   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

When I was with Plessey, we used to make them from old plastic knitting needles.
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 3:50 am   #6
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Be careful of the ceramic ones on Ebay and such.

I bought a set and like the plastic ones, any resistance in the slug/trimmer breaks the end off (and they are a bitch to reshape).
Old 24th Jan 2018, 6:59 pm   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

I recently purchased a set of ten trim-tools from Farnell. They are single-ended cream plastic and the plastic bag bears the number 3125083. I haven't damaged one yet, but there again, I tend to go quite cautiously with them. I use them mainly for adjusting trim-pots and capacitors in Tek scopes. Another source of pretty good trim-tools is the inexpensive scope-probes from China. The pack always contains a plastic-bodied screwdriver with a thin 2mm wide metal screwdriver tip. These are perfectly ok for trim-pots, but do tend to affect trimmer capacitors - a bit of trial-and-error is required.
I have also fashioned bigger screwdriver-type trim-tools from nylon rod and glass-fibre reinforced rod with mixed success for tougher jobs.
Colin.
Closed Thread