UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2018, 11:36 pm   #21
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: LED lighting for the workspace

I bought two LED Flat panels from Stricktlylamps on ebay £32 each. GREAT replacement for 6ft flu tubes... I have not detected any QRN fron the panels. All the visitors to my shack/workshop are very complimentary.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Jan 2018, 11:53 pm   #22
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I got some £1 GU10 LED lamps from Poundland, 3500k 5W, quite bright and a smooth diffused light. Properly built with an aluminium core LED pcb and ali. cored outer shell held together with screws and some heatsink paste for good measure. Capacitor dropper too (minimal RFI). After experimenting in the bathroom* they where so good a few are now lighting my workshop, they are soldered to the supply wires, a GU10 lamp holder costs more than a pound!

*using proper lamp holders already in place.
Another + for the Poundland GU10. We've had problems in the kitchen with the main lighting, where the 50W GU10 used to pop regularly. I suspect poor quality bases, with the contacts overheating and fusing etc the wire connections. No problem since fitting the 50W LED equivalents.
Thinking out loud---
For bases, I've often wondered if modified/unmodified starter bases might solve the problem of GU10 holders. Again, commercially available bases are expensive for solving the problem, but a pint or two to a local recycling centre ( AKA tip) operative, in exchange for a few might be a cheap way forward.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 12:02 am   #23
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
I bought two LED Flat panels from Stricktlylamps on ebay £32 each. GREAT replacement for 6ft flu tubes... I have not detected any QRN fron the panels. All the visitors to my shack/workshop are very complimentary.
We have been fitting 600mm X 600mm flat LED panels in office blocks, daylight white, although designed for suspended ceiling grids they do give a nice bright even light coverage, not too expensive either, the type we got delivered came with the driver module too, not sure about any interference issues though as we just fitted them as supplied.

These would be ideal for a workshop, I am sure the creative calibre amongst us on here could come up with a suitable mounting arrangement
Old 30th Jan 2018, 12:47 am   #24
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
We've had problems in the kitchen with the main lighting, where the 50W GU10 used to pop regularly. I suspect poor quality bases, with the contacts overheating and fusing etc the wire connections. No problem since fitting the 50W LED equivalents.
Thinking out loud---
We have had the same problem in our kitchen. The 35W were not quite so bad but did not give enough light. I have just recently obtained a few LED GU10s but have not fitted them yet. Just waiting for the next one to pop....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
We have been fitting 600mm X 600mm flat LED panels in office blocks, daylight white, although designed for suspended ceiling grids they do give a nice bright even light coverage, not too expensive either, the type we got delivered came with the driver module too, not sure about any interference issues though as we just fitted them as supplied.

These would be ideal for a workshop, I am sure the creative calibre amongst us on here could come up with a suitable mounting arrangement
I recently saw 600x600 LED daylight white panels in a building recently and I have to say that they provided very nice and very even lighting. They were very bright too. They certainly seemed a big improvement when compared to the previous fluorescent lighting.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 30th Jan 2018 at 12:59 am.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 3:34 am   #25
Refugee
Dekatron

We have a local supermarket that has what look like LEDs above the ceiling that shine down through frosted sheets that stick down over the check outs and displays.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 5:32 am   #26
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
For bases, I've often wondered if modified/unmodified starter bases might solve the problem of GU10 holders. Again, commercially available bases are expensive for solving the problem, but a pint or two to a local recycling centre ( AKA tip) operative, in exchange for a few might be a cheap way forward.
I think I tried this and found that they were different, didn't fit.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 6:39 am   #27
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
My ageing mom needed more light in her kitchen, so I visited CEF and perused their range of striplights. I settled on an xcite (by Tamlite) LED batten 1500mm (5ft) because of its spec in terms of brightness, low power consumption and shallow profile.
I have never heard of CEF before but I found and had a look at their website, which was a rather strange experience as there is no pricing. I then saw this was mentioned by someone on your thread. I contacted CEF on chat and apparently they only deal with trade and business customers although as a member of the public I can visit their 'store' (since its on an industrial estate I presume it is a warehouse). I guess the website does at least allow me to see what products they offer. Unfortunately they don't see to sell a 3ft batten, just 2ft, 4ft and 5ft, but I might just about be able to fit the 4ft. I discovered there is an outlet about 10 miles from me so the next time I am in Hinckley I might pop in and have a look out of interest.
Yeah, strange company City Electrical Factors (CEF). Surprised you'd not heard of them though, they're one of the biggest electrical distributors in the country with hundreds of outlets. My local CEF in Rugeley happily sells to the public and I suspect that any of the others would too. The xcite range of battens are a Tamlite product, a brand owned by CEF hence not available from anywhere else.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:13 am   #28
nebogipfel
Pentode

Just to add my vote for Poundland LED bulbs. Available with different shapes and fittings. Far cheaper than anyone else and we have used them throughout the house and shed for some time and so far I have nothing but praise for them.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:20 am   #29
Boater Sam
Banned

Being a tight wad and to idle to go shopping I buy everything on line, usually via ebay,and sit back and wait for the containers from China to arrive.
A company I have dealt with for a few years on the site for all sorts of LED fittings and lamps is rf-ning whom I have found very fair and reliable.
When I had some short life lamps, possibly because they ran too hot in the fittings, this seller sent more without argument, asking me to send the duff ones to a Birmingham address and sending me even more lamps FOC to recover the postage.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 12:34 pm   #30
WaveyDipole
Nonode

After a bit of searching this morning it seems that ES bulbs come in either 2700k, 3000k "warm" or 6000k "cool" but not in 3500-4000k, or even 4500k "daylight/natural" colour temperature. In addition, many were showing out of stock, so it looks like I will have to opt for a LED batten fitting. The cheapest I have found so far is £19 for a 36W 4ft batten from Led Palace, a UK seller on eBay. This is almost the same as 3 x ES R63 bulbs would have cost from a UK outlet. At 36W it should provide a bit more light than 3 x 8W or 9W bulbs would have given me. The light temperature is 4500k so not quite within the 3500k-4000k bracket mentioned earlier but I do have another use for it should it fall short in terms of quality of light. For the price, I figured it was worth a trying one so the order has been placed and I will post an update when it arrives.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 30th Jan 2018 at 12:41 pm.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:15 pm   #31
stevehertz
Dekatron

I doubt if you'll notice the difference between 4000k and 4500k unless you were comparing them side by side. Best of luck anyway
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:23 pm   #32
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I think I tried this and found that they were different, didn't fit.
Given how hot a GU10 Halogen gets, I certainly wouldn't want to use a non-Ceramic base for one.

Even the LED GU10 bases can get too-hot-to-touch in some fittings.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 8:31 pm   #33
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

While the Poundland LED lamps are great value, the Home Bargains ones seem to be considerably brighter for the same Wattage. They cost a bit more, but are still firmly in the 'economy' sector.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 9:19 pm   #34
The Philpott
Dekatron

i did tout the 3500k to 4000k range as a happy medium, but we all see things in subtly different ways and this was just my opinion..!

As WaveyDipole has noted, there is a gap between warm white and daylight white that the LED's haven't filled yet- maybe they will one day soon. 2700k is a little pinky-yellow for some tastes, and 6000-6500 rather fierce and slightly blueish.

My other half rejected a concealed fluorescent tube (daylight sim 5300k) in the lounge as it was, (and i will admit) 'rather harsh and greenish'. We settled on an ancient NOS 4300k Wotan T12 tube.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 11:13 pm   #35
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
i did tout the 3500k to 4000k range as a happy medium, but we all see things in subtly different ways and this was just my opinion..!
I generally like the LED filament type lamps in living areas as at 2700-3000k they make a reasonably good replacement for older tungsten lamps. On the other hand 'cool white' LED lamps seem a bit harsh. I have noticed that I can read colour much better under my magnifier lamps, one of which uses a fluorescent bulb and the other LED, but neither is quite as harsh as 'cool white'. I was thinking in terms of 'warm' and 'cool' as this is what one usually sees on product packaging, but with comments on here bringing the fact to my attention it did make sense to go for for something in-between, so thanks to those who mentioned it. I have learned something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
As WaveyDipole has noted, there is a gap between warm white and daylight white that the LED's haven't filled yet- maybe they will one day soon. 2700k is a little pinky-yellow for some tastes, and 6000-6500 rather fierce and slightly blueish.
Just to clarify, the batten light I purchased does use LED technology and has a colour temperature of 4500k. What I couldn't find was LED R63 bulbs with an ES fitting at that colour temperature. This does not seem to be a problem with GU10s, or indeed LED battens which seem to be available in a range of colour temperatures (although I couldn't find a 4000k one as cheap as the 4500k one I purchased). Maybe it is because R63s and R80s are far less common?

It is perhaps also worth mentioning that I did find some confusion in product description with some manufacturers/sellers (especially on eBay) using the description 'daylight white' as a synonym for cool white, a.k.a 5000-6000k, whereas others make the distinction between warm (2700/3000k), daylight/natural (4000-4500k) and cool (5000-6000k). So I found it best to check the actual colour temperature specified rather than rely on the description. Unfortunately I noticed that the occasional listing gave just a descriptive term like 'daylight' or 'natural white' and omitted any mention of the colour temperature so it was difficult to know exactly what one might get.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 30th Jan 2018 at 11:42 pm.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 11:38 pm   #36
Nymrod121
Nonode

At the risk of sounding like a worn-out 78rpm record ...

I use the self-adhesive LED-on-a-strip:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDeeTM-Fle...ords=led+strip

Cool white for this product is quoted on the packaging as '10000K'.

Warm white (3500K) is also available:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JnDeeTM-Fle...VYJHAARXYTF1X0

The strip can be cut to length at intervals (there are guiding marks so you don't cut off the chip dropper resistor for an LED the other side of the cut ... you only do it once )

I fix the required length onto plastic rectangular conduit which can in turn be fixed to any surface using suitable screws. The lid hides the screw-heads and the conduit provides cable management at the same time. The product is rated at 12v however I've found 11.0 volts reduces the current draw by a significant amount while maintaining a good level of intensity ( e.g. for a 1.5 metre strip: 415mA -> 250mA)

I'm thinking of designing an 11.0v, 3.5A regulated (linear) power supply as the 12v Netgear 1.6A adaptor I've been using gets very warm within ten minutes!

No connection with this supplier, just a satisfied customer.

Last edited by Nymrod121; 30th Jan 2018 at 11:46 pm. Reason: add URL for warm white version + note re power supply concept
Old 31st Jan 2018, 12:15 am   #37
Nymrod121
Nonode

These photos were taken a week or so ago but they give you an idea of what I've been working towards.

Apologies for the uncommanded rotation of the images ("they were alright leaving me").

Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WS lighting_01.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	156459   Click image for larger version

Name:	WS lighting_02.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	156460   Click image for larger version

Name:	WS lighting_03.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	156461  
Old 31st Jan 2018, 12:35 am   #38
Boater Sam
Banned

Just stick a diode or 2 in series with it Guy, easy.
Old 31st Jan 2018, 12:40 am   #39
Nymrod121
Nonode

Nice one ...
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 2:32 pm   #40
WaveyDipole
Nonode

The LED batton arrived today and I have improvised a couple of fittings to install it (unfortunately I can't just screw it into the ceiling). The light temperature is pretty close to daylight and quite neutral, not straying into the harsh blueish tinge of "cool white". The light emitted is a significant improvement over the previous incandescent fitting, both in terms of power consumption (36w vs 180w) and quality of light, which is much more even and brighter. Only time will tell whether it lasts the duration, but overall I am pleased with it anf grateful for everyone's the comments.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 3rd Feb 2018 at 2:47 pm.
Closed Thread