UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2018, 2:57 pm   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default Pye PTC4001 Tulip microphone

I've been reading about this item recently. I note the impedance is 2400 ohms which strikes me as very high. Does anyone know why this is ? I'm not an expert on these matters but I would have expected a value of between 200 and 600 ohms.

The only audio transducer I'm aware of with 2400 ohms impedance is a type 4T rocking armature earphone/microphone insert, made by A.P. Besson.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 3:34 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Pye PTC4001 Tulip microphone

We used to have these at work in the eighties but I must admit I never thought much about their impedance. As far as I can remember we didn't have much trouble with them. The transducer must have had a lot of turns of very fine wire to give that impedance. I can't remember ever having to change a transducer in one.
Alan.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 4:21 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Most PMR kit seems to have used those earpiece inserts, certainly the ones I came across did (Pye & GEC). The tulip mic was popular with base station operators, easy to use and stable when put down.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 5:10 pm   #4
Sparks
Heptode

Thanks folks. I have never seen one of these microphones in the flesh but it would seem likely one of the 4T inserts I mentioned would be the microphone. Perhaps easily changed for an insert with a different resistance.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 7:04 pm   #5
Biggles
Rest in Peace

When everybody used Pye equipment, tulip mics were the norm. Every control room had them. Quite a well designed stable bit of kit. Most were that blue colour although I seem to remember a couple of green ones. It's a long time ago. Memories of Pye Mascot 200's and RTC controllers...
Alan.
Old 21st Jan 2018, 8:27 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Tulip mics were blue at first, then green and finally brown. About the only failing was intermittent audio (Norman Collier effect) caused by the screen cable fracturing at the base just where it was always being bent. The mic audio used just the outer screen and the red inner conductor. The simple repair was to disconnect the (blue?) wire from the ptt N.O. micro-switch contact and parallel it with the mic insert audio screen. The more professional repair was to replace the entire cable, then include the above modification. I still have some original cable....somewhere? I do not recall ever replacing the insert or the micro-switch. FM and AM inserts were different. Early fm inserts had several largeish holes, just like all the am ones. These were sought after in the 1970s by amateurs. Later and the more common fm inserts just had 3 very small holes in the aluminium face.
The thin woven cloth covering across the insert was unceremoniously known as a "gob guard!!".
Rob
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 12:22 am   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Comparatively recently, by which I mean in the last 15-20 years ago, I passed by a little taxi station, the door was open and I did a double take when I saw on the desk in front of the operator a Pye Tulip.

Do taxis still use voice on their radios?
There was at least one company near here (North Manchester) that used FM voice as well as data until about 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 10:28 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've got one I rescued from work in 1985. It was new and boxed - one of several spare mikes that the comms Dept chucked out when Pye equipment was replaced in the control room at work when I was manager at B.G. at Sheffield. Of no particular use to me, but an attractive looking mike (to my eyes) and it seemed a shame for them to be skipped. Still on the shelf gathering dust, but looking nice. (The new equipment used Shure 444 mikes - of much more interest to amateurs as they were optimised for SSB as well as AM/FM. Dual impedance - 200 -Ohms-1K, 15K - 10M and could be use PTT or VOX).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tulip Mic1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	155899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tulip Mic pic2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	155900  
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 10:31 am   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Do taxis still use voice on their radios?
There was at least one company near here (North Manchester) that used FM voice as well as data until about 4 or 5 years ago.
My local minicab company [to whom I used to supply and fit various bits of Motorola and Simoco low-band FM gear in the 1990s] went all-digital around 2005: I forget whose gear they ended up using, but it's rather nifty for the minicab to send you a text message when it's about half a mile away, and another when it's outside your door.

Uber, of course, lets you watch your ride's approach in real-time. "Glympse" - http://www.glympse.com/ - is rather handy too, if you're making a significant journey and the people at your destination want to know how you're progressing. I followed a friend's journey all the way from Switzerland to Wiltshire using this.
Old 22nd Jan 2018, 12:14 pm   #10
Sparks
Heptode

I shall buy one if these microphones one day, provided it doesn't cost more than about £20.00. Not sure what I'll do with it but I can worry about that later !
Closed Thread