UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2021, 5:09 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Objective 'shootout' of Peak Atlas V two others.

This 'shootout' by Roger, of KainkaLabs of the Peak Atlas DAC55, DCA75, the MK328 bare PCB and another component tester might be of interest, albeit they're rather long.:

Part 1:Component Tester Shootout [Pt.1]: General Comparison and Diode Testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34tjKKZPMjA

Part 2: Component Tester Shootout [Pt.2]: Transistors, SCRs, TRIACs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGf4Luqfo0

Component Tester Shootout [Pt.3]: Special Functions, Tear-down & Final Verdict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbHGpA1jrJE

I have an aging DCA50 and a DCA55 (bought when on offer before Maplin closed down).

I also have three MK328 bare PCBs that I boxed up and fitted sockets to rather than the daft ZIF socket.

The 328 transistor/inductance/capacitance/ESR/resistance meter can also be had boxed up with test leads for about £25.00.

I'll refrain from comment, other than to concur with the concluding comments at 1.22:30 into the final part.

This, by Dave Jones on EEV Blog is relevant to the MK328 bare PCB, that can presently be bought for a fiver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br3L1B80ow

You pay your money and make your choice.

Hope that might be of interest.
Old 5th Feb 2021, 5:23 pm   #2
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Objective 'shootout' of Peak Atlas V two others.

Hello David, if you look back to my thread post of 10th Nov. 2018 - "AVO TT169 Tr. Tester", you'll see a comparison report(shoot-out ?) on several of my Tr. Testers, including a DCA55 & an AVO CT446 MK2. 'Fraid I'm not into "YouTube - ing", but for folk taking an interest in testers from yesteryear & modern Chinko ones, best to gen up on the different terms used back then & now. Alpha dash, beta, Hfe, Ico, and so on. Its a fascinating subject, and certainly for quick testing of a number of transistors the DCA55 is the bee's knees. I've plans afoot to have a shot at drawing up some curves from tabulations obtained from the CT446. Something I haven't done since the 60's/70's.

Regards, David
Old 24th Feb 2021, 7:37 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I'll say at the outset that Peak Atlas are an innovative small British company with a well deserved reputation for first class after sales service and support. I'm not knocking them or seeking to trash their products - I'm simply outlining the limitations of the DCA55 as compared to the Chinese MK328, both of which I've owned for some time.

I don't want to start a transistor tester 'beauty parade' but having found the Peak Atlas DCA55 somewhat limited and inconvenient to use as compared the Chinese MK328, I'd wondered if it was just my perception. Hence, when I found the KainkaLabs reviews of four testers including the DCA55 and MK328, I thought I'd take a look, rather than to subjectively conclude that the DAC55 is the best of the bunch without having considered objective assessments of other equipment.

The conclusions of the tests at the links I provided will be of no consolation to those such as myself who've already bought the DCA55, though in my case, it was just an impulse buy when Maplin were knocking them out on special offer for about £20, rather than the £86.00 they currently cost from RS. But for anyone who is thinking of buying one, a squint at the videos at the link I provided might enable a better-informed buying decision.

To underpin these comments, I've recently built a project which uses a BF256B JFET.

I invariably check all components before use, especially semiconductors, so I first tested the JFET on my MK328 (bought as a bare PCB for about £6.00 several years ago and boxed up by me). I connected the 'FET, pressed the button on the tester, which first reports the battery condition then identifies the pinouts and test result. The results remain on the screen for 20 secs then it automatically shuts off, so it's a 'one press' operation. As will be seen from the first pic, it correctly identified the drain, source and gate and showed the test results.

That told me all I needed to know.

For comparison I then tested the BF256 on my DCA55, the outcome of which was:

Pic 2: First button press result: 'It's a JFET'. (I already knew that).
Pic 3: Second button press result: 'Drain and Source not identified'.
Pic 4: Third button press result: Gate identified.

And that's it. A fourth press to switch the DCA55 off left me none the wiser than when I switched it on.

Pic 5: The MK328 Multi-tester, which also tests capacitors (including ESR), resistors and inductors.
(So does a Peak Atlas LCR40 for £88 on top of the cost of the DCA55).

The MK328 typically costs £25.00 from Taiwan/Hong Kong/China and £35.00 from UK suppliers.
The 'bare bones' unboxed MK328 can be bought ready-to-use for well under £10.00.

Here's the spec:

Quote:

MK328 MULTI-TESTER OPERATNG PARAMETERS:

6.1 Operates with ATmega328 microcontrollers.
6.2 Displaying the results to a 128x64 graphic LCD-Display.
6.3 One key operation with automatic power shutdown.
6.4 Shutdown current is only about 20nA.

Semiconductor testing covers:

6.5 Automatic detection of NPN and PNP bipolar transistors, N- and P-Channel MOSFETs, JFETs, diodes, double diodes, Thyristors and Triacs.
6.6 Automatic detection of pin layout of the detected part.
6.7 Measuring of current amplification factor and Base-Emitter threshold voltage of bipolar transistors.
6.8 Darlington transistors can be identified by the threshold voltage and high current amplification factor.
6.9 Detection of the protection diode of bipolar transistors and MOSFETs.
6.10 Measuring of the Gate threshold voltage and Gate capacity value of MOSFETs.

End quote.

Testing resistors, capacitors and inductors and other aspects:

The minimum capacitance it can measure is 25pF, but if desired to test say a 5pf Capacitor, if it's placed in parallel with another capacitor above 25pF - say 100pF, the other capacitor can then be subtracted from the result.

For, Inductors the minimum value it can measure is .01 mH (10uH) - the maximum is 5H.

Here's the rest of the spec:

Quote:

6.11 Up to two Resistors are measured and shown with symbols and values with up to four decimal digits in the right dimension. All symbols are surrounded by the probe numbers of the Tester (1-3). So Potentiometers can also be measured. If the Potentiometer is adjusted to one of its ends, the Tester cannot differ the middle pin and the end pin.
6.12 Resolution of resistor measurement is now up to 0.01Ω, values up to 50MΩ are detected.
6.13 One capacitor can be detected and measured. It is shown with symbol and value with up to four decimal digits. The value can be from 25pF to 100mF. The resolution can be up to 1pF .
6.14 For capacitors with a capacity value above 0.18µF the Equivalent Serial Resistance (ESR) is measured with a resolution of 0.01Ω and is shown with two significant decimal digits.
6.15 For capacitors with a capacity value above 5000pF the voltage loss after a load pulse can be determined. The voltage loss give a hint for the quality factor of the capacitor.
6.16 Up to two diodes are shown with symbol or symbol in correct order. Additionally the flux voltages are shown.
6.17 LED is detected as diode, the flux voltage is much higher than normal. Two-in-one LEDs are also detected as two diodes.
6.18 Zener-Diodes can be detected, if reverse break down Voltage is below 4.5V. These are shown as two diodes, you can identify this part only by the voltages. The outer probe numbers, which surround the diode symbols, are identical in this case. You can identify the real Anode of the diode only by the one with break down (threshold) Voltage nearby 700mV!
6.19 If more than 3 diode type parts are detected, the number of founded diodes is shown additionally to the fail message. This can only happen, if Diodes are attached to all three probes and at least one is a Z-Diode. In this case you should only connect two probes and start measurement again, one after the other.
6.20 Measurement of the capacity value of a single diode in reverse direction. Bipolar Transistors can also be analysed, if you connect the Base and only one of Collector or Emitter.
6.21 Only one measurement is needed to find out the connections of a bridge rectifier.
6.22 Capacitors with value below 25pF are usually not detected, but can be measured together with a parallel diode or a parallel capacitor with at least 25pF. In this case you must subtract the capacity value of the parallel connected part.
6.23 For resistors below 2100Ω also the measurement of inductance will be done, if your ATmega has at least 16K flash memory. The range will be from about 0.01mH to more than 20H, but the accuracy is not good. The measurement result is only shown with a single component connected.
6.24 Testing time is about two seconds, only capacity or inductance measurement can cause longer period.
6.25 Software can be configured to enable series of measurements before power will be shut down.
6.26 Selectable facility to calibrate the internal port resistance of port output and the zero offset of capacity measurement with the self-test . An external capacitor with a value between 100nF and 20µF connected to pin 1 and pin 3 is necessary to compensate the offset voltage of the analog comparator. This can reduce measurement errors of capacitors of up to 40µF. With the same capacitor a correction voltage to the internal reference voltage is found to adjust the gain for ADC measuring with the internal reference.
6.27 Display the Collector cut-off current ICE0 with currentless base (10µA units) and Collector residual current ICES with base hold to emitter level . These values are only shown, if they are not zero (especially for Germanium transistors).
6.28 Thyristors and Triacs can only be detected if the test current is above the holding current. Some Thyristors and Triacs need as higher gate trigger current, than this Tester can deliver. The available testing current is only about 6mA.

Attention: Always be sure to discharge capacitors before connecting them to the Tester! The Tester may be damaged before you have switched it on. There is only a little protection at the ATmega ports. Extra caution is required if you try to test components mounted in a circuit. In either case the equipment should be disconnected from power source and you should be sure that no residual voltage remains in the equipment.

End quote.

Package include:
1 x MK-328 TR LCR ESR Tester Transistor Inductance Capacitance Resistance ESR Meter(not include the battery)
1 x Test Clip
1 x Adapter.

Hope that might interest someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF256B on test - MK328  single key press.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	227513   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF256 Under test - first key press.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	227514   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF256B under test - second key press.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	227515   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF256B under test - third key press.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	227516   Click image for larger version

Name:	MK328 MULTI TESTER.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	227517  

Old 24th Feb 2021, 9:34 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Thanks for the reviews and information - was an interesting read.

I had a couple of the cheaper "component testers" and found it very difficult to get reliable trustworthy results out of them. I've seen 100% differences between readings taken a couple of minutes apart! One of them frustratingly measured a single 100nF capacitor at 33nF, 170nF and 105nF. That one had the LCD screen stolen off it and the rest discarded.

I have a Peak LCR45 now and I am very happy with it.

I have considered buying a DCA55 but decided not to bother in the end. I use the circuit described in the Fluke 8010A manual which can measure various simple characteristics including open/short, type, leakage and beta effectively for BJTs at least: https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/test/Fluke...ion_Manual.pdf (section 2-7). Haven't needed anything fancier yet.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 1:39 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The DCA75 is much more comprehensive, and does curve tracing via USB and the companion programme on the PC.

You cannot identify source and drain on a JFET because the vast majority are symmetrical. In fact I've yet to find an asymmetric JFET, but I hear that some high RF types might not be symmetric.

Craig
Old 25th Feb 2021, 7:17 am   #6
Keith956
Heptode

I bought a "LCR-TC1 Transistor Tester" a year ago, it's based on the same original Atmega circuit, with a fancier colour LCD screen. At £16.59 it was worth looking at. It works, mostly: some devices (jfets in particular) I've found it thinks are 2 back to back diodes instead. So not really a substitute for a curve tracer.

I did look at Peak but wasn't very impressed. For a handheld LCR meter I mostly use a DE-5000 which I picked up new on eBay for about £75 including the test adapter and SMD tweezers (measuring a SMD without these is almost impossible!). It is surprisingly accurate and compares well with ones costing in the £hundreds.

https://www.deree.com.tw/de-5000-lcr-meter.html
Old 25th Feb 2021, 9:41 pm   #7
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Thanks for the reviews and information - was an interesting read.

I had a couple of the cheaper "component testers" and found it very difficult to get reliable trustworthy results out of them. I've seen 100% differences between readings taken a couple of minutes apart! One of them frustratingly measured a single 100nF capacitor at 33nF, 170nF and 105nF. That one had the LCD screen stolen off it and the rest discarded.

I have a Peak LCR45 now and I am very happy with it.

I have considered buying a DCA55 but decided not to bother in the end. I use the circuit described in the Fluke 8010A manual which can measure various simple characteristics including open/short, type, leakage and beta effectively for BJTs at least: https://www.qsl.net/n9zia/test/Fluke...ion_Manual.pdf (section 2-7). Haven't needed anything fancier yet.
Did you mean section 2.55 (page 2-12) of the Fluke manual for the transistor tester circuit?

David
Old 25th Feb 2021, 10:52 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

Yes that's the one. Think I must have been asleep when I wrote that!
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 1:07 pm   #9
David Simpson
Nonode

Thought I'd add another couple of pennoth, David.
Found two NOS OC45's in my collection - a bog standard Mullard OC45 (Orange encapsulation) & and an OC45K, lacking a makers name - Black.
Using the AVO CT446/2, tabulated HFE for 2,4,6 & 8V Vc, but just graphed the results for 2V, so as to compare to the Mullard (Typical) Graph which I've transposed on to my A4 graph sheet. Could also get Icbo & beta off the 446.
Then did tests with my Atlas DCA55, my homebrew digital tester(part cheapo/Chinko MTester U2.68 display & an altered battery psu panel out of an old CT446), and an ancient 1950's Siemens/Ediswan Type R2285 PNP only tester.
If you like, I could send you the two OC45's, to try out. Ideally, if some Tr. testing guru with a fancy curve tracer or fancy 21st century tester, would join in, then he could have a go.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OC45 Gen.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	228041   Click image for larger version

Name:	OC45's Graph.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	228042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr. Testers (a).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	228043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr. Testers (b).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	228044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr. Testers (c).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	228045  

Old 2nd Mar 2021, 1:12 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Ref. Bewks. DS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TR. Ref. BOOKS.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	228053  
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 1:49 pm   #11
OldTechFan96
Octode

I have had a MK328 for a few years now and I am satisfied with the way it performs.

The leads are the weak point due to the thin wire used. I have repaired each one multiple times now! An upgrade to thicker wire is in order. The ZIF socket is handy.
Old 2nd Mar 2021, 3:25 pm   #12
David Simpson
Nonode

Right enough David, that 328 type chinko board/display I've used is fine in my homebrew tester, and cost less than a tenner. The ZIF socket is a fanny to use, so I fitted three banana sockets and retained the CT446 type sockets. All switchable - plus a choice of two standardised transistors(OC81D & 2N3904) as references, wired internally. Kindly supplied by Pamphonica.
Transistor testing is a fascinating part of vintage electronics pursuits. So, as I said earlier, if there is another testing enthusiast out there who wants to do comparisons with other forum folk's efforts, then I'll easily lend my two OC45's. But note - this isn't a "my thingy is bigger than your thingy" competition - just straight forward electronics research.

Regards, David
Closed Thread