UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2008, 8:03 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoring a 'WWII Civilian set'

I got this set a while back and it has stood on a shelf as it is and I've only just realised that the brown knob thingy on the tuning dial shouldn't be there. It has recently dawned on me that at some time the dial cord has snapped and for some reason this jam-jar lid has been put on the set to enable it to be tuned rather than replace the cord!

I'm going to see if I can cut a small piece of wood to shape to repair the cabinet. What type of wood is this? Can anyone tell me?

The set seems very basic and makes noises of a sort but I'd appreciate any 'weak spots' to zoom in on while it's being renovated.

Thanks for any help - Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wwiiciv.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	17987  
Old 18th Jun 2008, 9:08 pm   #2
af024
Octode

Default Re: Restoring a 'WWII Civilian set'

Hello David,

I'm not sure that they were all necessarilly the same, but the one I have here looks like pine.

Regards,

Andy
Old 18th Jun 2008, 11:04 pm   #3
petertheorgan
Hexode

Hi David
Feel free to look at my previous Post in this section
I dont know if the knobs or speaker cloth are original but mine is a U20 McMichael and Gerry Wells has a U20 McMichael that has a serial number 3 above mine
cheers
peter
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=28046
Old 19th Jun 2008, 9:33 am   #4
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Very nice indeed Peter. Are you saying that these radios should have the label on? This one hasn't.
Old 19th Jun 2008, 10:26 am   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

They all had a label originally and, like most other aspects of these radios, was to a standard design regardless of make.

Knobs and grille cloth did vary however; presumably - as the design of these components wasn't crucial - manufacturers made use of whatever was available.

Cabinets were unvarnished, stained pine (I think it was pine anyway); even the top section wasn't varnished to protect the label. My own WCR came to me, like many of them, missing its label. I made a repro label and then, for protection, sprayed the top - and indeed the entire cabinet - with an aerosol matt varnish. Not original of course, but by using matt varnish it looks original and at the same time is protected.
Old 19th Jun 2008, 3:56 pm   #6
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for replies and help so far. I've got the set in bits and as suspected no parts have ever been changed yet it's working well if a little insensitive.

I've removed the dial bodge but can't make out whether the dial should just be held on with a screw in the middle or if the washers and nuts have been added to accomodate the bodge and should be left off. Any ideas?

The cabinet seems to be 3 ply with the middle section thicker then the outers. This might present problems matching when it comes to filling in the damaged area. I'm currently going through old packing cases etc looking for a bit to match.
Old 19th Jun 2008, 4:35 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Attached is an image of the (somewhat tatty) dial of my WCR. As you'll see, there's a circular aperture at top centre of the scale through which is accessed an ordinary cheesehead screw which secures the cursor disc.

As far as I'm aware this arrangement is original.

Sorry the image isn't top-drawer quality .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0006.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	17994  
Old 19th Jun 2008, 5:18 pm   #8
Sean Williams
Dekatron

That is completely as it should be - just a 4BA cheesehead screw and washer

Sean
Old 19th Jun 2008, 5:34 pm   #9
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That's perfect Darren. Many thanks

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
Attached is an image of the (somewhat tatty) dial of my WCR. As you'll see, there's a circular aperture at top centre of the scale through which is accessed an ordinary cheesehead screw which secures the cursor disc.

As far as I'm aware this arrangement is original.

Sorry the image isn't top-drawer quality .
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 1:42 pm   #10
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I suspect your set may be Ekco as it has ekco knobs
Closed Thread