UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2019, 2:04 pm   #21
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default Re: Speaker wadding advice

Just found some info
https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...-labeled-mdkt/
Old 16th Aug 2019, 2:05 pm   #22
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

These looking at the bottom grill have loft insulation in them
Old 16th Aug 2019, 2:21 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler

Some info on just what you have in this thread:

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...7&topic=5605.0

Makes interesting reading and seems to say that Fried himself had no technical input, just sales in the beginning.

David
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:25 pm   #24
gramophone1
Pentode

You could try this from Russ Andrews.

Acousti-Wool | Resonance control | Russ Andrews Accessories Ltd. I am considering trying it with my own speakers.

Russ Andrews can be expensive, so check prices first, and decide whether it is worth the expense.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 4:44 am   #25
Radio Wrangler

The usual stuff (bad pun!) for transmission lines is long-fibre wool as championed by Dr Bailey himself.

You want the transmission line path to be low loss but slowed wave velocity... IE some suspended mass in the air, but little damping. Recycled wool fibres tend to be short and you can't get them stable at the low density needed. OK if you want total damping in a simple sealed or ported box.

Use anti-reflection material to line the walls of the transmission lines, but have the path of the line filled with low density fluffed-up long fibre wool.

I think Bailey had an article in Wireless World on it.
Chris Rogers explains transmission line stuffing in the notes for his PRO9TL design. Worth reading

Wilmslow or Falcon ought to supply the right stuff.

David
Old 17th Aug 2019, 9:53 am   #26
simpsons
Octode

I wonder if the extra wadding was used to tame the bass response when the loudspeakers were placed directly on the floor.

I have placed my Celestion Ditton 44's on metal stands for that very reason and this is in a room 20'X13'. Given that transmission line speakers will probably reproduce at even a lower frequency, used in a small room and placed on the floor, it could be an issue.

Too late now, but always use gloves when handling loft insulation. It is not accoustic wadding.
Closed Thread