UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2019, 6:18 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default Garrard RC121 mk2 motorboard compatibility

I have an Rc121 mk2 id like to stick in some form of plinth. I have a motorboard as a starting point to build something, but wonder if any easier options exist. Could it fit a base from an sp 25, or an at60 does anyone know?

Just mulling over options
Old 15th Aug 2019, 9:35 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC121 mk2 motorboard compatibility

You can readily search out a RC121 template online. But a base already cut out for a SP25 can be a good starting point, although it will need a few changes.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 10:05 am   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

The mechanism of an RC121 is somewhat deeper than that of an SP25, or any of the later Garrard decks, so a ready-made base for one of these will not be suitable.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 10:37 am   #4
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks Barry, it is likely to match anything but an RC121 motorboard?

Perhaps I should proceed with my plan and build something from the board I already have.

I made a tough decision and scrapped the radiogram it was in as the cabinet was in a terrible state and I had an opportunity to save one in my area that was going to the tip but was in excellent condition. I hate scrapping stuff, but it was a no-brainer.

I put my restored chassis into it, but unfortunately the better gram had the 210 changer in it, so no way my restored 121 could fit that

When I scrapped the other one I did keep the motorboard piece with a view to make it into a plinth of some sort. The RC121 is a great deck and I spent MANY hours stripping it, cleaning and re-assembling until it worked flawlessly. You infact donated a badge for it so its pristine and I'd like to use it somehow
Old 15th Aug 2019, 4:40 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Thanks Barry, it is likely to match anything but an RC121 motorboard?
The only other motorboard it would match would be one for the RC120mk2, but that's identical to the RC121mk2, except that it has a one-piece arm. I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and make a plinth from scratch!

Barry
Old 16th Aug 2019, 1:12 pm   #6
PsychMan
Octode

Thanks Barry, and Edward. I think I'd better get on with building that plinth.
Closed Thread