UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2019, 9:41 am   #1
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Philips Compact Cassette Recorder Models

Hi,

Is there a easy way to ID a Philips Compact Cassette recorder? I have one in need of new drive belts but can't find a model number on the unit or the carrying case for it, just "Made in Austria" next to the logo. I found several photos on Google but not all are labelled.

Thanks

Roger

Sorry, title should read "Recorder"!

Last edited by G3VKM_Roger; 22nd May 2019 at 9:43 am. Reason: Title error
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:12 am   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Compact Cassette Reecoder Models

There should be a small paper label (with model/type and a unique serial number), fixed somewhere inside the recorder.

It is often stuck inside the battery compartment. If it's an early model, with a black plastic sheet showing how to correctly install the five 1.5Volt batteries, it is underneath this, on the metal chassis.

If you post a photo, we can ID it for you.
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:38 am   #3
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Philips Compact Cassette Reecoder Models

Hello,

Thanks for the fast response. This recorder does indeed have the plastic flap with the batteries shown but I'm unable to find any marks or labels. Couple of pix attached.

Cheers

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070611.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	183626   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070612.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	183627  
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:44 am   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Compact Cassette Recorder Models

That is a model EL3302, but there were several production changes, such as the move from Germanium to Silicon transistors.

Have you looked where I advised, on the metal chassis, visible when you lift up the black plastic sheet that has the position of the five C cell batteries marked on it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	39336C43-55F7-41F2-8F16-ACAE3C413DD9.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	183628  
Old 22nd May 2019, 1:05 pm   #5
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

You're absolutely right, I hadn't realised that the the battery sheet was detached inside the case and the label is in place. The model number is EL3022A/15D with a 7.5V supply and S/N 396686.

I'd be interested to know if it is germanium or silicon due to the unreliability of Ge and can you or other member recommend a belt supplier? The old belts have long since fell apart.

Thanks again,

Roger
Old 22nd May 2019, 1:35 pm   #6
dazzlevision
Dekatron

According to my notes, the EL3302A/15D uses entirely Germanium transistors. However, even the later versions on the EL3302 used Germanium devices in the (playback) audio driver and output stages.

Have a look at post #38 in this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=75160&page=2

I'm not sure about sourcing new belts, but I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed on the forum in the past.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 22nd May 2019 at 1:44 pm.
Old 22nd May 2019, 1:38 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

I thought everyone knew the 3302!

According to my records, main belt is a 71mm, 1.2 x 1.2 square section. Molgar p/n cc-017. Small belt for spooling is 20mm, Molgar p/n cc-001. Or just use an o-ring from a pack from the pound shop, wilkos etc
Old 22nd May 2019, 2:30 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I agree, "the" definitive portable cassette recorder. But there are absolutely loads of variants, re-badged versions, machines using the same mech, and even Russian clones to confuse us.
Old 22nd May 2019, 3:26 pm   #9
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Thanks very much for the info, chaps. I'll get a pair of belts and take it from there. Engaging the play bar gives some hiss at full volume so there's still some life in there!

I'll follow-up the previous thread on the topic of belts.

Cheers

Roger
Old 22nd May 2019, 6:07 pm   #10
Karen O
Rest in Peace

IMSMC, one of the belts is quite small. On the advice of a forum member I used a band intended for dressing horse manes! They're available from horse tackle shops. Works great.

I do hope you don't have sticky goo to contend with My belts were reduced to outlines on the pulley/chassis, rather like those crime scene chalk marks.
Old 22nd May 2019, 6:45 pm   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
You're absolutely right, I hadn't realised that the the battery sheet was detached inside the case and the label is in place. The model number is EL3022A/15D with a 7.5V supply and S/N 396686.
Is there another small label, probably starting with the letter combination WR? This will give the exact revision level and the production week.

If not visible from the battery compartment, it will be somewhere on the mechanism. In that case you'll encounter it when you replace the belts.
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:38 pm   #12
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I agree, "the" definitive portable cassette recorder. But there are absolutely loads of variants, re-badged versions, machines using the same mech, and even Russian clones to confuse us.
Too true. That N2202 you gave me a few years ago being one It still sees a bit of use, especially when I want to record things out and about, using manual record level. It (and by extension the 3302 et al) is much better quality than most dictaphones, and smaller than the Marantz PMD series.

I think I must have about 7 Philips recorders using that mech!
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:56 pm   #13
Maarten
Dekatron

Even the first implementation of pushbutton operated decks was this exact deck with a pushbutton assembly bolted on that operated the control lever.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 8:30 am   #14
Ekcoman
Heptode

Just taken delivery of an EL3301. Not seen this one before as have an EL3301T which think is a later machine from 1966. Had no idea of variants of this model, learning all the time. Have to say amazed it survived being posted in a jiffy bag.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Phil3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	187614   Click image for larger version

Name:	PHILIPS CASS.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	187615  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:00 am   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

At one time Philips made a Car Cassette player which used the EL3300 series mechanism mounted sideways on with adaptors to allow the play/FF/REW mechanism to be operated. I can't recall the model no, and unfortunately don't have any pictures, but maybe someone else does.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:14 am   #16
ricard
Octode

I have fond memories of an N2202 we had in the family many years ago. It was the first recorder that I actually made recordings on. When the family advanced to a stereo machine I took over the N2202. It felt more upmarket than the EL3302 with its push button operated eject and metal-over-plastic paneling.

I remember doing all sorts of tricks with it, like not pushing the operating lever all the way in so that the pinch roller didn't make contact with the capstan, for playing tapes at high (albeit uneven) speed (oddly, it felt like there was some form of detent in the mechanism so that it could remain in this position by itself fairly reliably), or slipping a strip of paper in front of the erase head before closing the cassette holder in order to prevent erasure and thus allowing a new recording to co-exist with an already existing recording on the tape.

After the N2202 I upgraded to reel to reel. Can't remember now what actually happened to the machine. I think the bias oscillator failed and at the time I didn't manage to repair it so it might have been taken to bits.
Old 31st Jul 2019, 9:50 am   #17
Keith
Heptode

The EL3302 was a great little machine. First thing I bought with my student grant back in 1969! It followed me all round the UK and was the only thing that kept me sane stuck in daily traffic jams in Turin in the 70's. Long gone now, sadly.
Closed Thread