UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2019, 4:45 pm   #1
jaholden
Retired Dormant Member

Default Working Simon SP4 - next steps?

Hi All,

New the forum, hope everyone is well!

I have a Simon SP4 left to me by my father. It's in mostly working order but is unrestored apart from replacement of the rubber chassis anti-vibration mounts with some silicone pads.

The transport works in both directions. Occasionally the take-up spool momentarily stops, probably due to flats in the drive rollers. This usually cures itself after a few minutes of running.

Sound is OK, decently loud but muffled. Could be head alignment, but could also be drifting caps or similar. Some of the pots are crackly. There's no significant hum in the output.

I feel like it should be receiving at bit of TLC at it's time of life, but where would be a good place to start?

I have a reasonable amount of experience in general electronics, access to equipment and also to a 3D printer.

Any insight appreciated!

James
Old 20th May 2019, 7:15 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Working Simon SP4 - next steps?

Because of the age of the machine, there will be several capacitors which should be replaced irrespectively of how they check out, you should also check and replace resistors that are out of tolerance.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th May 2019, 9:35 pm   #3
jaholden
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Michael. Anything particular urgent due to safety issues?
Old 21st May 2019, 7:54 am   #4
Michael Maurice

paper Wax capacitors and Hunts moldseal capacitors for starters.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread