UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2016, 6:39 pm   #1
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Default Chassis colour after anti-rust treatment

I tend to use Kurust on rusty chassis, after a rub/brush down to remove most of the surface rust. However Kurust leaves the metal a very dark colour which I presume is the colour of the chemical it turns the rust into. Does anyone have an alternative treatment that doesn't result in such a dark colour.

I guess I could paint over the dark colour, but I'm not a fan of grey painted chassis when the original finish was probably a nickel plating. Is there a paint that produces the dull metal finish of original nickel plating?

best regards .... Stef
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 7:14 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Chassis colour after anti-rust treatment

Alloy wheel refinisher?
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 7:17 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I believe that most of the rust treatments produce metal phosphates on the surface, and all the ones I've ever used left some discoloration. The new Jenolite products say that if the metal hasn't turned blue, repeat until it does.

If you are going to keep the chassis in a dry atmosphere in future, you could remove the phosphate (wire wool?) as it should have neutralised the existing rust. Perhaps you could then spray the chassis with WD40 or a coat of varnish? I don't think I've ever seem a paint that gave a convincing "metal finish" appearance.

B
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 8:49 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

You could try cold galvanising spray, which gives a fairly pleasant mid metallic grey colour, and not at all glossy.

Or, Halfords sell a "weld thru primer" that is a zinc loaded primer coat, used for edge preparation prior to welding - this is a fair bit lighter in shade, and replicates the colour of coated steel quite well.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 9:09 am   #5
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Thanks for the most helpful comments. I think I'll try the 'weld thru primer' and see what the finish looks like.

best regards ... Stef
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 10:22 am   #6
Scimitar
Heptode

You would be better removing the rust in its entirety. Either wire wheels, or best of all, shotblasting will remove all traces of it. Then if you wanted to seal it, a coat of matt lacquer would do that, else leave it as nature intended.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 6:07 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Agreed, that wire wheels are a good way to go to get the great bulk of the rust off. The problem is that corrosion very often includes some pitting; very localised, very deep attack, which you probably wouldn't even see (by eye) after the brush or blasting. And it's the pits where it gets started again (like magic), but the best chance of dealing with the pits is something like a phosphate treatment.

B
Closed Thread