UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2014, 4:04 pm   #1
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Beware Digital Test Meters With Low Battery

Re Fluke 75 MK111 which I was using this afternoon with the battery warning on and thoght all was OK. However while resistance readings were fine, the AC coming out of my Variac was reading 50/60 Volts low or more.

Thought very odd as on max it was only 180 Volts whereas normally it is up to 260 Volts ,checked with spare meter and it was all caused by the PP3 battery being down.

One to watch for as not wanting to wind the Ultra 309 that is in for repair up to 260 Volts when the mains tap is set much lower.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 4:26 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Beware Digital Test Meters With Low Battery

Very useful.

My Fluke was doing odd things recently too, and that was down to the battery as well.

The trouble is, they're such damn good meters and the batteries need replacing so infrequently, that you get to trust them implicitly.

N.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 6:22 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Useful info, and surprising too - I would have hoped that if the battery was so low as to screw the calibration, that the display would have gone ---- or whatever (1o 8att is do-able with a 7-seg display).
Old 24th Jun 2014, 7:05 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

No,the display was fine and think it is only the second battery since new many years ago.
It read around 5Volts and just showed the battery symbol in top right corner.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 8:41 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Another problem is that the low battery icon is ambiguous. To me, it does not emphasise the "low" bit enough. A picture of a battery with a line or cross through it would be clearer, or better still, the words "low battery"!
Old 24th Jun 2014, 9:42 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

From the 1980s when LCDs were still quite new, perhaps no longer acceptable due to political correctness, but clear enough when you realise what it represents. I wonder how it was described on the design specification.

Maybe they considered adding a Replacement Imminent Procedure.

PMM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DA116 Instruction Plate.pdf (1.10 MB, 211 views)
File Type: pdf DA116_2.pdf (276.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 24th Jun 2014, 10:02 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

I get some very strange readings when the battery is low on my digital meter. I also have a power meter that reads volts or watts. I left it switched on for days a few weeks ago. It read the mains OK but showed a TV as only drawing 2 watts when everything was working OK! I then noticed the battery symbol flashing for the first time, changed the PP3 and everything was back to normal.

Seems that with most of these meters, not all ranges are affected the same way.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 10:23 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

I get caught out with my Beckmann meter. The only low battery warning is the decimal point that flashes rather than being steady. By the time that happens, it's well out of cal.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 11:34 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
From the 1980s when LCDs were still quite new, perhaps no longer acceptable due to political correctness, but clear enough when you realise what it represents.
Ah, another version of the battery in a coffin symbol. (Dead battery). There's one without the + - but with a "pip" on the top of the battery on my AVO B183 LCR meter. It was some years before I realised what it actually was (other than just a peculiar symbol for battery low).

Just went out to the shed to check its model number and noticed I left it on last time I used it. One very dead (not even coffin symbol generating) battery removed. Luckily no leakage.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 24th Jun 2014, 11:43 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks for the explanation, Chris. It went straight over my head.

Nick.
Old 25th Jun 2014, 10:49 am   #11
pmmunro
Octode

I'm surprised Nick - you're usually one of the first to see these things. I had you in mind when I wrote that. It was late at night though.

PMM.
Old 25th Jun 2014, 11:06 am   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

One answer, back to the AVO8 at least it only needs a battery for resistance ranges.

Having said that iI do love my Fluke as well and have a very early one here also that is still going strong.
Old 25th Jun 2014, 11:33 am   #13
threeseven
Octode

My mid 90's Avo DMM flashes the whole display when the battery is likely to cause inaccurate readings, I think it also bleeps.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 2:22 pm   #14
avocollector
Heptode

Had the interesting experience of 3 DMM going wierd on me recently. Started with an old Fluke reading half the resistance on ohms, then 128 for mains voltage?? so changed battery but still wonky. Picked up an el cheapo and that too was peculiar - way off on ohms and mains voltage. Finally a third meter medium quality also played up. By then I went back to my old Hioki analogue out of desperation - then the next DMM I picked up was fine?? I don't believe in evil spirits but you'ld wonder sometimes!!
Closed Thread