UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2017, 12:39 pm   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Bakelite spalled- cosmetic refurb. attempt.

Spalled is not exactly the right word, perhaps. This instrument has a crackle finish which appears to have left 95% of it's glaze inside the mould, either that or the polished finish/glaze went porous and came away in the ensuing years. In any case, it looks like a manufacturing defect.

No amount of polishing managed to restore the finish, and the brown deposit left on the rag showed that i was simply rubbing away more bakelite.

This 'refurb' is only 12 hours old so time will tell, but having dabbed baby oil into the crackle with cotton buds, it soaked in very well indeed. The legends were re-done with white chinagraph after wiping down with a dry cloth.

I hit on baby oil as a choice as i tend to get contact dermatitis and avoid machine oil these days unless using gloves.

So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00175.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	138192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00181.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	138193  
Old 25th Feb 2017, 4:16 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Bakelite spalled- cosmetic refurb. attempt.

I've encountered similar problems and had fair results using the products intended to restore black plastic trim on cars, which often starts to appear 'oxidised' as it ages. Likewise, I get through quite a few disposable gloves these days keeping my digits clean .

B
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 7:27 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

After 1 day it was looking a bit patchy, so applied a second coat. This didn't soak in nearly as quickly as the first. The finish has been stable for 4 days now, it looks fine.
Old 2nd Mar 2017, 8:04 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

I guess you could also use boiled linseed oil. Normally used on wood but as it soaks in and oxidises when in contact with air and dries hard it could be used. It's certainly quite hard wearing on wood.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 12:59 am   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

You may have a point there.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 9:19 am   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

On wood you often need more than one coat to get it to look even due to varying rates of absorption. Any excess can just be wiped away - dispose of the rag/paper carefully as it could self ignite - so it says on my bottle.
Old 3rd Mar 2017, 11:22 am   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

Very much so, and in sunnier climes a box of linseed oil soaked rags ignite very quickly.

I've an idea it applies to things like teak oil as well
Closed Thread