UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2013, 3:31 pm   #1
YoungManGW
Hexode

Default Grille Cloth: Removal and Replacement

I need to replace the speaker grille cloth on an Ekco AW69. As readers will know, the grille on this is really quite large, so I need to make sure that the cloth is properly affixed to the back of it, to avoid subsequent sagging. Two questions if I may:

1. What's the best way of removing the remnants of the old cloth from the back of the grille? Most has been removed mechanically, but there is quite a lot left stuck on - the glue used must have been pretty strong!

2. What is the best sort of glue to use when replacing the cloth?

Very many thanks.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 2:50 pm   #2
davidgem1406
Heptode

Default Re: Grille Cloth: Removal and Replacement

When I have to do this to remove the old stuff that is left behind glass paper and a block is used to just sand it away. If there is a lot then an orbital sander could be used.

To fit the new cloth first stretch it by stapling it to a spare piece of board. I start on one edge and stretch and staple that, then follow on with the next edge so working round all 4 edges.
If there are straight lines in the cloth keep these straight when stretching.

The glue I use for cloth materials is PVA, if the material is synthetic then i use contact adhesive from a spray can. The sort used for fixing photographs.

The adhesive/glue is always applied to the speaker board and never directly onto the cloth.

Once the adhesive is applied to the board it is placed onto the replacement cloth/material and firmly clamped in place until dry.

Once dry if the speaker board is thick, the majority are, I then glue and staple the material along all 4 edges of the board. Finally the excess is trimmed away.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave
Old 20th Feb 2013, 3:13 pm   #3
YoungManGW
Hexode

Thank-you Dave, that's really useful. The cloth on the AW69 is affixed to the back of the Bakelite case, but you've given me the idea of first aligning the cloth over a piece of cardboard before offering it up to the back of the case, and leaving the card in place until the glue's dried. Thanks again. Regards.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 3:20 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or better still, use a piece of card to make a template, then spend 5 mins with a Stanley knife making a hardboard temporary support.
Closed Thread