UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2013, 6:09 pm   #1
Nicko
Pentode

Default DAC10 white bezel? What's it made of?

Title says it all: What's the white bezel round the buttons and scale on a DAC10 made of - is it the same as an ivory DAC90A, i.e. Urea Formaldehyde, or is it a form of white Bakelite?

Whatever its made of, will the usual T-cut/Paste #5 + beeswax do the trick or can it be "whitened" by further processing?

Thanks
Old 21st Jan 2013, 9:37 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: DAC10 white bezel? What's it made of?

I'm not sure "white Bakelite" exists, I think it's UF as you suggest.

I've heard of people using bleach although others say this can cause long-term damage.

See https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=45900 and https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=60915 etc.

Nick.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 2:06 am   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Whatever it's made from, I wonder if it has a different expansion co-efficient from the surrounding Bakelite case, accounting for the usual cracks one sees in the corners.
Old 24th Jan 2013, 5:21 pm   #4
telstar
Octode

Hi,

I once worked in an amplifier factory in Leeds, that made guitar and keyboard amplifiers. They had a Bush DAC10 radio in their factory (not working), but the cabinet had been damaged at some time, and the white bezel too. Some bright spark had painted the whole lot in Dulux gloss paint (can't remember the colour).

What a mess it looked, they might have been able to remove the paint from the bakelite cabinet (if required), but not the bezel. Not sure what the bezel was made from, could it be cellulose?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 1st Feb 2013, 4:02 pm   #5
Nicko
Pentode

Coming round to it being made of Catalin.

Fits the bill - the oxidisation mode of it turning from white to cream, the shrinkage (which Catalin has a habit of doing) and tendency to crack etc.

I believe that the DAC10 also cracks round the screws due to a design flaw - the escutcheon doesn't mate fully with the main Bakelite body of the case; over-tightening of the escutcheon fixing screws would result in stressing the area around the fixing points, leading to the development of hairline cracks. To prevent this, insertion of suitable washers/shims may be a good plan.
Old 1st Feb 2013, 5:11 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
I believe that the DAC10 also cracks round the screws due to a design flaw - the escutcheon doesn't mate fully with the main Bakelite body of the case; over-tightening of the escutcheon fixing screws would result in stressing the area around the fixing points, leading to the development of hairline cracks. To prevent this, insertion of suitable washers/shims may be a good plan.
I've had a couple of DAC90As where the chassis lugs haven't quite met the two threaded bosses in the Bakelite case. To my surprise, even fairly careful tightening of the two screws caused one of the bosses and its surrounding Bakelite to crack away from the rest of the moulding. Again, shims (plus an Araldite repair) were the answer.

Nick.
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 8:55 pm   #7
vinrads
Dekatron

I doubt very much if it is made of Catalin. I don't know any British radio that uses this material unless you know different! It's a hard plastic that cannot be reformed once set. Jonathan Hill lists the small white Alba model C112 as being made of plastic, so it's made of hard plastic.

Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 2nd Feb 2013 at 9:18 pm.
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 9:58 pm   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Forgot to say Jonathan also states the tuning scale surround on the DAC10 is made of white plastic!
Old 6th Feb 2013, 6:47 pm   #9
Nicko
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Forgot to say Jonathan also states the tuning scale surround on the DAC10 is made of white plastic!
Bakelite and Catalin are both plastics! There are 100s of plastics, but only a few that were around at that time. It's the type of plastic that the bezel/escutcheon is made of that I'm after, and currently, Catalin is the best option I've heard of.

I'm sending a few scrapings to a friend who has access to an analytical chemistry lab. We shall see...

History/timeline of plastics: http://inventors.about.com/od/pstart...a/plastics.htm

Last edited by Nicko; 6th Feb 2013 at 6:52 pm.
Old 6th Feb 2013, 7:54 pm   #10
vinrads
Dekatron

I have repaired many catalin radios exclusively made in the U.S.A. It is a very different material to the hard plastic which the Bush DAC10 bezel is made of.

Mick.
Old 7th Feb 2013, 4:09 pm   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Agreed. As I understand it, catalin that was originally white is a butterscotch yellow by now. It's a very recognisable plastic to anyone who's met it, with a marble-like smoothness and a tendency to some of its discolouration being so very superficial that cleaning with metal polish often produces quite a drastic change of colour in the direction of what it originally was. I think at least two different materials have been used for DAC10 bezels, a coarser ivory-coloured plastic and another that's more of a cream colour and more smooth or waxy in appearance. Neither resembles catalin.

Paul
Closed Thread