UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2018, 9:38 pm   #1
boombox
Pentode

Default Is this woodworm?

This tiny insect was crawling around on top of an annunciator panel - sure it must be woodworm but wanted to seek a second opinion.

I'll probably be microwaving the panel!

Video at link above
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2blvzf.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	164085  
Old 4th Jun 2018, 9:50 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Is this woodworm?

Looks about the right colour, but too bulbous for a woodworm beetle unless the video was shot from an angle of about 45 degrees -

https://www.timberwise.co.uk/wp-cont...ure-Beetle.jpg

is a fair representation. I've seen quite a few of them over the years, beginning when aged 10 I bought a table model gramophone that was riddled with holes, and, since I'd treated it with the noxious fluid then available at just the right time, a few dozen beetles emerged to die on the surface. It never had woodworm again, but still stank of the fluid five years later.

Paul
Old 4th Jun 2018, 9:55 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good evening,
The picture is too small to see properly. Was the insect like a small brown beetle that was quite hard if you squashed it?

Have a look and see if there are any clean looking holes approx. 1mm diameter in the woodwork with powdery sawdust around or in the hole. This would be a concern and I would put any affected materials in a sealed bin liner with woodworm and leave somewhere safe for a few weeks to see if there is any change.

Take a look at the link below which might help identify the creature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworm

Christopher Capener
Old 4th Jun 2018, 10:51 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

I would be wary of distortion if considering nuking it.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 1:03 am   #5
Silicon
Nonode

Can you put the wooden panel in the freezer? Some people use that method.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 6:49 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If this is the Annunciator I think it is, it spent a couple of months in a freezer before Boombox acquired it. Seems like this was a hardy beast to have survived that.

I too found the image too small to see anything more than a round brown blob - and I couldn't open the "This tiny insect" link, as my computer isn't good with video clips (which I assume it is).