UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2023, 2:54 pm   #1
retailer
Heptode

Default 6X5 odd filament

Here's something I had read about but never seen - a good old 6X5 rectifier with a heater that has worked it's way out of the cathode tube, didn't notice it until the filament lit up in the tester - needless to say emission registered as zero.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230112_224130.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	271420   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230112_224141.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	271421  
Old 13th Jan 2023, 5:11 pm   #2
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: 6X5 odd filament

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailer View Post
Here's something I had read about but never seen - a good old 6X5 rectifier with a heater that has worked it's way out of the cathode tube, didn't notice it until the filament lit up in the tester - needless to say emission registered as zero.
Is that a US sourced tube or valve? I ran into a 6W4GT, which is a damper or recovery diode in a TV that the heater did the same thing. it still worked, but I replaced it anyway!
Bave, USradcoll1
Old 16th Jan 2023, 5:54 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 6X5 odd filament

Hi,
I have an EL84 with a heater that appears to have migrated downwards from the cathode tube. The valve was mounted horizontally in an old French 819 line TV.
I can't be sure if it was like that from new, or travelled out with thermal cycling.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EL84 fallen heater (1).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	271616