UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2022, 10:45 pm   #1
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Default Using 100V line transformers as p-p o/p transformers

Post moved from this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=195920

How do you use a 100v line transformer as a push-pull?

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 13th Nov 2022 at 1:37 pm. Reason: New thread created
Old 13th Nov 2022, 9:08 am   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: 100v line transformers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Bell View Post
How do you use a 100v line transformer as a push-pull?
To take the 15W as an example
Connect as follows

Anode 1 - Com
Screen 1 - 15W
HT (centre) - 5W
Screen 2 - 2.5W
Anode 2 - 1.25W

See the attached spread sheet for the calcs.

The 15W is the only one that gives precisely matching screen taps but I have tested the 30W version and despite the slight mismatch I could not measure any detrimental effects. My main amplifier used in the house is a Mullard 5-10 using the 30W ones.

Peter
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx 100V Line transformer as OP.xlsx (194.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 13th Nov 2022, 9:24 am   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I forgot to add that the Silicon chip (and Everyday Practical Electronics) Currawong valve amplifier used 100V line transformers

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/silico...ifier_kit.html

Peter
Old 13th Nov 2022, 3:22 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I have used the same approach in a transmitter modulator, like the Codar AT5 but with an 807 PA and 6L6 as modulator in Class AB1. The anode currents balance out more or less so that you can use quite a small transformer and still get 100% modulation without the core saturation being an issue.
Old 13th Nov 2022, 5:15 pm   #5
Cruisin Marine
Octode

Default Re: Using 100V line transformers as p-p o/p transformers

I have used the same approach in a transmitter modulator, like the Codar AT5 but with an 807 PA and 6L6 as modulator in Class AB1. The anode currents balance out more or less so that you can use quite a small transformer and still get 100% modulation without the core saturation being an issue.

How does that work then?
I just looked at a very small ctt diag. for and AT5, and it looks like a centre tapped transformer with one side feeding the anode of the mod valve and the other feeding the RF PA anode via the usual RFC, The HT goes to the centre tap it seems.
Would I be correct in assuming that the currents are 180 degrees out of phase and cancel (well partially in reality) and not add?
Old 13th Nov 2022, 5:22 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, essentially it is a kind of 1:1 autotransformer with equal and opposite current flowing in the two halves so that the magnetic fields sum to zero under static conditions. Applying audio drive to the modulator unbalances the field contribution from the modulator, which results in the audio output being applied to the PA stage. The only downside is that you have to use the same HT on both the PA and modulator valves, but since an 807 is really a 6L6 with a top cap they are reasonably well matched.
Old 14th Nov 2022, 11:34 am   #7
retailer
Heptode

The forum members at australian guitar gear forum (https://www.aggh.net/discussion/index.php?board=8.0) have made use of 100V line Tx's in guitar amps, I haven't tried one my self but by all accounts they work well.
Old 14th Nov 2022, 3:35 pm   #8
daviddeakin
Hexode

Remember that they're only designed for 100Vac across the primary, above which they're likely to saturate (at 50Hz? 100Hz? Who knows). At typical valve primary impedances that means you'll never get more than 2-3 watts out at the low audio end, before saturation.
Closed Thread