UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2022, 12:58 pm   #1
PaulM
Hexode

Default BECG Heritage Open Days

Hello,

We are pleased to announce that we will be participating in the national Heritage Open Day scheme on September 17th and 18th. This doesn't mean that our museum is open yet, but it will be an opportunity to see where we are with the refurbishment and installation. Besides our museum attractions, our ex-RAF building has its own history and delights.

If you're coming along, it would be helpful if you could tell us in advance so that we can gauge numbers, please. We would love to see you! For more details, see:

https://becg.org.uk/news/

The building was finally bought on November 10th 2021 and we've come a long way since then. This is our first real test of all the work to date, from working loos to power feeds to OB trucks.

Extra attractions will likely be added and there will - no doubt - be further news.

Hope to see you there!

Best regards,

Paul M
BECG
Old 29th Jul 2022, 8:15 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: BECG Heritage Open Days

There may be a number of people wondering what 'BECG' means. As written, it's only going to get the interest of people who already know about you.

David
Old 29th Jul 2022, 8:30 pm   #3
PaulM
Hexode

Hello David, OK, thanks, but it is in the link to our website and we have been going for a couple of years now.

For the record, we're the Broadcast Engineering Conservation Group (BECG) and our museum is the Broadcast Engineering Museum - a proper bricks and mortar based museum in the making.

We've tried hard for publicity, including articles in the BVWS magazine, so I hope that we're recognised at least a little by now

See: www.becg.tv

Best regards,

Paul Marshall
Chairman
BECG

Last edited by PaulM; 29th Jul 2022 at 8:54 pm.
Old 29th Jul 2022, 8:36 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I did know, but people make quick judgements on whether something is interesting or not and I felt you might lose some interest with them having to go to a further website to find any mention of what it is.

David
Old 30th Jul 2022, 2:16 am   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It may seem tedious and unnecessary, but I do agree with David that a brief explanation in each new thread could help attract interest and certainly wouldn’t do any harm. Not everyone will have seen your publicity or previous threads so a bite-sized summary along with the website link for more information is a good way of gaining more interest.

Also if you have active pages on Facebook etc, please share them. And if not try to find a volunteer to take that on.

This is all intended as helpful suggestions to try to raise profile and get more interest.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 30th Jul 2022, 9:41 am   #6
PaulM
Hexode

Hello Paul,

What we've taken on here is a pretty major enterprise to house what we hope will become a significant museum of broadcast technology and engineering - hence our title of the Broadcast Engineering Museum. We began BECG based on several of our vintage TV Outside Broadcast trucks (with several operational). These contain a wealth of equipment including working broadcast cameras. They are self-contained micro-museums, but we always wanted a building to be owned by our registered charity to house as much broadcast TV (and radio) equipment as possible. There's over 200 cameras, 8 telecines, 7 Quad VTRs, numerous 1" VTRs and a host of other kit. The moving in process has only just begun, but we will have some of the collection on show as well as our working 'Southern' TV OB truck.

We have owned this amazing 30,000 sq ft building for 8 months now and from a semi-derelict, the main block is now viable. This has taken a lot of time, effort and money. It has its own RAF history too, and that is something of interest to many.

We do have Facebook pages and someone to look after them - we do understand that FB is important and acted on that quite a while ago. Details can be found at the foot of our website homepage which can be found here: www.becg.tv

This is a serious organisation and the acquisition of a building like this was not undertaken lightly - it's a massive undertaking (and a time/money vampire). We've achieved much in the short life of BECG to date.

We're especially grateful to those who have gifted/loaned significant tech items and to those generous individuals who believe in what we're doing and given much money and time too.

Best regards,

Paul Marshall
Chairman
BECG
Old 30th Jul 2022, 9:55 am   #7
peter_scott
Dekatron

https://www.facebook.com/groups/667309020734638/
Old 28th Aug 2022, 9:01 am   #8
PaulM
Hexode

There's some updates to pass on about our plans for our first opening under the Heritage Open Days scheme on 17/18 September.

Firstly, we're pleased to report that besides 'Southern', our operational TV OB truck which will be there, two other mobile units will be in attendance. One is our newly acquired BBC Radio car and the other is a guest vehicle, an ITN links vehicle.

There's more about the radio car here: https://becg.org.uk/projects/bbc-radio-car-lt05xan/

Inside there will be one of the Marconi MkIIs used at the Queen's Coronation in 1953, working telecine and large VTRs, along with cameras with a 'history' such as a Link 125 used to shoot the famous Queen 'I Want to Break Free' video. Roland Rat's TV AM Marconi MkIX will be on show along with a goodly selection of classic cameras such as the EMI 2001 and Marconi MkIII. Also on show will be a very rare Panavision GII 35mm film camera which must have been used on some pretty famous films, but which ones exactly, we don't know!

Sadly, we won't be able to show our other trucks at this time as the building work to convert the former RAF Ballroom into an Outside Broadcast truck garage has yet to start. We really do want our 'Project Vivat' up there as soon as possible, along with some of the others. Whilst we have the space to show them outside, we don't have the resources to deal with them for these open days.
https://becg.org.uk/projects/project-vivat/

Whilst reporting on our plans for the Heritage Open Days, I would like to take the opportunity to post a picture of one of our other projects which has just emerged from the paint shop in its new colour scheme - our ABC-Thames truck which will begin fit-out with cameras etc. next year. The full story is here:
https://becg.org.uk/projects/abc-thames/

Even though we're not yet formally 'open', Google Map seems to have caught up with us - seemingly by itself! - and Hemswell Broadcast Engineering Museum finds us spot on at our wonderful ex-RAF building at Hemswell Cliff near Gainsborough.

We hope to be able to welcome people to our Heritage Open Day event to show where we've come to so far, what we plan to do and how we intend to go about it. There's a long way to go and as a charity we are always on the look out for funds, resources and help.
Full details are here: https://becg.org.uk/2022/07/25/heritage-open-days-2022/

Best regards,

Paul M
Chairman
BECG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220813_102022961.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	263781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panaflex_GII.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	263782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Southern_at_show#2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	263783   Click image for larger version

Name:	25-06-2013 020.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	263784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Link_125_Left.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	263785  

Last edited by PaulM; 28th Aug 2022 at 9:24 am.
Old 13th Sep 2022, 10:04 pm   #9
PaulM
Hexode

Following the sad death of our Queen, we had to think long and hard whether to carry on with our Heritage Open Days this coming weekend on 17/18 September. On balance, we have decided to go ahead. We're sure that the Queen would have wanted life to continue.

If you are coming along, it would be helpful to us to know in advance - many thanks!

Paul M
Chairman
BECG
Old 14th Sep 2022, 7:22 pm   #10
Pamphonica
Nonode

A difficult decision, but I agree that life must go on, even in national mourning.
I’m making a special trip up to Lincoln, to include your open day. I’ll be there on Sunday morning.
Looking forward to it.
- Jeremy
Old 16th Sep 2022, 11:36 pm   #11
PaulM
Hexode

We're all set! It's been one hack of a lot of work, but we're ready for visitors and we look forward to welcoming people.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 18th Sep 2022, 4:16 pm   #12
G6ONEDave
Octode

I would just like to say that I had a very interesting visit to the BECG museum and that it is well worth a future visit for anyone who has not been this weekend.

Keep up the good work.

Dave
Old 18th Sep 2022, 5:18 pm   #13
Pamphonica
Nonode

We visited today and were impressed by the sheer amount of stuff already on display. Paul M says it’s less than 10% of the collection! And the amount of space available is amazing. (Those Sergeants had it very cushy!). Lots to interest everyone today. We saw a good number of familiar faces, which was nice. Well done the BECG team for laying this on, and thanks.
-Jeremy
Old 19th Sep 2022, 9:33 am   #14
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I was there on Saturday and was honoured in being allowed to be able to take all the photographs for the BECG.

Seeing the Coronation camera was a treat in its self. Watch out for next opening, well worth the journey.
Old 20th Sep 2022, 10:58 am   #15
PaulM
Hexode

BECG is pleased to report that our Heritage Open Days weekend went very well! The weather was great, and we had people from far and wide. The response was fantastic with many new friends made and old friends welcomed.

We're not yet formally open (of course) and this was just a one off, but after just 9 months in our building it seemed like a good thing to be showing people progress.

Dave Higginson took photos for us and attached are five to show the flavour of the event.

Thanks to all our visitors for coming and we look forward to seeing you again. As ever, we need help! Assistance with things like painting, transport, plumbing etc., are always welcome (and money, of course . . .) but we're now through to more museum-oriented things too.

Pictures in order are:

'Rovers Return' set showing all the types of tubed cameras used to make 'Coronation Street' over the years
Marconi MkII camera as used at the Coronation in 1953
Our 'new' ex-BBC radio car
General view of 'Southern' and ITN news truck
BBC grams decks

Also on show were many more cameras, telecines, VTRs and - of course - our wonderful ex-RAF building.

Best regards,

Paul M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	264997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	264998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6687.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	265000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6688.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	265001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	265002  

Old 20th Sep 2022, 7:06 pm   #16
red16v
Heptode

Will we be able to see a wider range of photos taken on the day in due course? Perhaps on the BECG website itself sometime?
Old 21st Sep 2022, 8:26 am   #17
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I hope so RED16V as there is 1Gb of shots!
Old 21st Sep 2022, 9:20 pm   #18
PaulM
Hexode

Once the dust has settled, we will publish more photos on our website.
It was all one heck of a lot of work running across weeks and weekends solid, so we're all a bit zonked! Here's a few more to be going on with:

Roland Rat and the TV-AM Marconi MkIX which televised him
Panaflex GII film camera
Some Quad VTRs (several more awaiting delivery)
A couple of C Format VTRs and a Bosch B Format
Two telecines - another 4 still to arrive.

Lots more was on show, these are just a few of the exhibits already in place.

Best regards,

Paul M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0619.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	265075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	265076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	265077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	265078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	265080  

Old 22nd Sep 2022, 10:53 am   #19
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thankfully when I was servicing, I never had to bring one of those in for service! (VTR)
Old 25th Sep 2022, 6:50 pm   #20
red16v
Heptode

I’m very pleased to see in your photographs the ex-LWT EMT tape splicer I donated to you!

When I saved it from the skip I kept it in my garage for a few years trying to decide what to do with it hoping that it could somehow be preserved for future generations to get a glimpse as to how it was all done before the advent of PC’s. So I am especially pleased to see that your endeavours, and those of your colleagues and volunteers, have enabled this to happen. Really chuffed it has been saved and displayed.

Can I asked where the TR70 came from? YTV at a guess?
Closed Thread