UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2021, 5:31 pm   #1
HoverJohn
Pentode

Default Megger on big caps

Ok so I’m using a cheap megger on new caps I just bought to test them and now realise that it’s taking ages to charge the cap up anyone else had this - it’s a 60uf electrolytic at 250v
Although it’s a 470v one if I bung in 500v then drop it back it shows open circuit - much better….

Not ideal

Now I have to discharge it down via my multimeters 10k voltage resistors….
Old 15th Nov 2021, 6:12 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Megger on big caps

Meggers are really intended to test insulation, and track down insulation failures. A megger can be used to assess types of capacitors with low capacitance values and low leakage, such as the old paper caps and modern film caps. But for electrolytic caps, with high values of capacitance and higher leakage rates than the other types, a megger is not well-suited to this task.

B
Old 15th Nov 2021, 6:27 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Be very careful with a Megger and a high value capacitor. You can easily charge it up and can store enough energy to give a bad shock or quite a crack and a flash if shorted.

The storage of energy in a capacitor is calculated using the equation Joules = 1/2CV squared where C is capacitance and V is voltage.

As said Meggers are best for testing low value wax paper and Hunts type capacitors of 0.1 uF and lower. The readings will me more meaningful as you are not using too much energy from the Megger to charge up the capacitor.

Christopher Capener
Old 15th Nov 2021, 6:33 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Not sure a Megger is suitable for any type of capacitor testing as it will be applying a voltage that is likely to be well over the capacitor rated maximum voltage which might cause the insulation to breakdown.
Old 15th Nov 2021, 9:12 pm   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Not sure a Megger is suitable for any type of capacitor testing as it will be applying a voltage that is likely to be well over the capacitor rated maximum voltage which might cause the insulation to breakdown.
As the OP states we are talking about a "cheap megger", I think we are using the name in the generic sense. My Comark Insulation Tester ("megger") has ranges from 25, 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000volts, so can be used for paper and film caps.

B
Old 15th Nov 2021, 9:59 pm   #6
HoverJohn
Pentode

Ok cheers guys it only has 250,500 & 1000v and for less than 20 quid off eBay I can’t fault it and was good at condemning the small paper caps. I just like testing the new ones going in on the HV side (new grid couplers etc) it’s been quite a good sense check on the volt meter as it reads 10 k resistance and the volt meter checks the megger to within a few volts of what it states.

As for fully charged brand new 60/100uf caps I’ve been pulling the leads off the megger and popping them on the volt meter and Leaving it to discharge slowly.
Old 16th Nov 2021, 7:19 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

To test electrolytics I charge them through an ammeter using either a current limited power supply or voltage doubler powered through my isolation tfmr and variac, again current limited, but the resistor to limit current has to be chosen carefully, no good trying to charge a 2200u cap through a 1M R. You'll be there all day.

After the cap has charged I should be linear to V, EG 2.5uA @ 250v, if it isn't then yon cap is suspect. Another way is to apply non regulated DC then measure ripple.

Andy.
Old 16th Nov 2021, 11:05 am   #8
stuarth
Heptode

You can use a low impedance voltmeter as both the limiting resistor and current/voltage monitor to avoid needing resistors “hanging in the wiring”.

For electrolytic reforming, an AVO 40/47 is 6mA FSD on its voltage ranges with a resistance of 20k or 80k on its 120V or 480V ranges respectively. You can use the same meter to gently but quickly discharge the capacitor after test. An AVO 7 could be used, but its 2mA FSD maybe too close to the leakage current of some electrolytics.

Stuart
Old 16th Nov 2021, 12:06 pm   #9
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

slightly off topic. our electrical training instructor had a big metal tin containing a 1uf 1000v capacitor. the lid was insulated from the base with a bit of tape, and the cap hidden inside was connected across the lid and tin. when we were off section, usually for health and safety lectures or similar, he would charge the cap with a megger, and upon our return, with would be thrown at one of the unsuspecting apprentices to catch. I don't suppose any of that carry on would be allowed nowadays
Old 17th Nov 2021, 8:29 am   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G4WCS View Post
slightly off topic.
Back on topic please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Nov 2021, 12:36 pm   #11
trobbins
Heptode

The digital insulation resistance meter I have is by design current limited to 1.4mA, with typical 100, 250, 500 and 1kV ranges. I have used it for poly's up to 10uF.

But for e-caps imho it is best to use a variable dc supply through a 1k resistor and to measure the leakage current at rated working voltage, as that is the key performance parameter (which is not directly read from a megger, but can be interpreted).

A clip on voltmeter across the 1k shows the charging current, which settles to the nominal leakage current. 1k is often recommended by cap manufacturers for periodic maintenance reforming. The recharge/leakage current characteristic is a good indicator of cap performance in circuit, especially if you are using e-caps in series with balancing resistors to swamp out that leakage current, and if a datasheet is available then the leakage current parameter can be compared to measured.
Closed Thread