UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2023, 10:50 pm   #1
NottsIan
Tetrode

Default Knob spring clips

I've been doing a bit of experimenting recently making control knobs with a 3D printer. The results are very encouraging but what is missing so far is a spring clip to hold firmly on the D shaped shaft. All I've been able to find so far are clips supplied as spares for electric cookers and the price is eye-watering - five or six pounds each!

Could anyone suggest where I might be able to find a couple of dozen or so clips at a sensible price?

Suggestions for any other means of securing knobs would be welcome. I'm trying to avoid screws though.

Thanks

Ian.
Old 18th Jan 2023, 11:08 pm   #2
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Knob spring clips

What about some of those that are used for clamping hoses onto fittings? I saw some in my garage just the other day, first glance thought they were for knobs. They were in a box of knobs as well. Will see if I can find them again and post a picture.
Bit like these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265250961526

Rob
Old 19th Jan 2023, 12:02 am   #3
Philips210
Nonode

Some years back. I had to find a replacement spring metal piece for a gas cooker control knob. It occured to me that a junior hacksaw blade was around the right section. Carefully snapping off a piece of the correct length and fitting it to the knob did the trick very well.
I would imagine this spring metal could also be used for some radio control knobs.

Regards,
Symon
Old 19th Jan 2023, 1:14 am   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

There are at least two different types of these clips that I have encountered. The post #3 type is presumably a straight piece of sprung steel that fits in slits at the inside of the boss either side of the D. The second type is a generally C-shaped clip with a straight central portion and having inwardly-directed ends that locate in grooves in the outer surface of the boss.

Last edited by emeritus; 19th Jan 2023 at 1:17 am. Reason: typos
Old 19th Jan 2023, 10:53 am   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Many types of fasteners and many sizes of each. Here are just a few. I can let you have 7 shown. They are to fit a 1cm, stump?? x 5.6mm H. I will PM you.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2507.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	271804  
Old 19th Jan 2023, 2:27 pm   #6
NottsIan
Tetrode

Thanks for all the suggestions. The clips shown above the ruler in John's post are the sort of thing I'm looking for. Either style would do.
Robin's suggestion of hose clips is a good one. I didn't realise they were available in sizes small enough for this. I'm going to order a selection and see how I get on. I should be able to tweak my 3D models to suit.
I've attached photos of one of my attempts.

Thanks again

Ian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	271811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	271812   Click image for larger version