UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2023, 7:59 pm   #1
E93AFAN
Tetrode

Question Variable Capacitor Fixing Bolts

I recently bought a couple of 370pf single gang miniature variables recovered from equipment in first class condition and of good quality, with no identification markings other than "JAPAN", but neither have mounting bolts, which is a pain as I had hoped to use them for a project.

I have spent a considerable time combing the internet trying to establish what bolts might be suitable, I have also been through all my "might come in handy one day" stash, which has thrown up two suitable (badly mangled) bolts, but goodness knows what they are or where they came from. The threaded holes in the caps are a clearance for M3 bolts which just slide out on pulling, M3.5 seem to be the right size, but after a full turn bite and stop. I thought M3.5's might do the trick as many of the caps I have use this size/thread, which I eventually discovered by trying a standard electrical socket backplate screw in desperation.

I realise its a long shot, but does anyone out there have any idea what other thread types the Japanese might have used during (a wild guess based upon the construction/condition) the 1960-1980 period? I would be very grateful for any suggestions and thank you in advance for your help as always.
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 8:24 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Variable Capacitor Fixing Bolts

I thought that Japan used metric threads, but if intended for the US market, it is possible that unified threads might have been used. The diameters of both 6-32 UNC and 6-40 UNF are almost exactly 3.5 mm. 4BA is 3.6mm diameter.

Is there enough metal to run a M3.5 tap through the holes? M3.5 is not a first choice thread and is seldom found in basic tap sets, but electrical suppliers sell threading tools consisting of a long shaft M3.5 taper tap permanently mounted in a handle. I got mine from Screwfix.

Last edited by emeritus; 3rd Jan 2023 at 8:33 pm.
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 8:33 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I wonder when JIS standard was introduced ? The heads are usually marked with a single Dot. I think this may be a staring point of your search.

John.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 10:47 am   #4
FrankB
Heptode

If you can determine what size SAE (U.S.) screws you need and the length, I can drop a couple in the post to you if you can't find them there. Typically they are 6/32 and 8/32.
Or just retap the holes, as was suggested.

I have run into this problem in reverse here in the U.S., but I generally have a good source of metric screws. If you decide to retap the hole, if there is room, go the next size larger and be sure you don't run the tap into the plates. ( Don't ask)
Old 4th Jan 2023, 11:42 am   #5
retailer
Heptode

This shows that in the early days of Japanese manufacturing they were not afraid of copying even the thread size and pitch.
Old 4th Jan 2023, 12:45 pm   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

JIS standard was not metric until the mid-1960s.

It might be worth trying 5BA - I have found these fit some early tape decks.
Old 13th Jan 2023, 2:30 pm   #7
E93AFAN
Tetrode

Thank you all for your kind support and advice. There wasn't enough "meat" to recut with an M3.5 tap so I have bitten the bullet, drilled and tapped the holes to M4, bit of a dodgy job but managed it without causing any damage.

Thank you for giving me the spur needed to just get in with it again and all my best wishes.
Closed Thread